IGNORED

All Weber guys, need a choke size

240ZGL

Running a 2.8 mild cam, headers, and 40mm, I just opened up the chokes from 30 to 32 and it seems to be better than before. Just need to know if 32 is about right or do I need to open them up to 34 or 36. I only have one set so if I go to big I have to start looking to for new ones.

Are you aware there is a formula to go by to set up your triples............? The marriage has to be correct with the jets / air / choke/ for the system to work effeciently. It's a little more than just changing the Venturi size. Have you researched any for Webers - I am a Mikuni owner so I'm a little lost with the proper Weber set up.

I know about the jet changes, emo tubes and such but for some reason these 6 cylinder are weird. The tuning books all call for around 36 or 38 mm chokes based on a 2.8. What I see are our 2.8's are running around 32 to 34mm. With these carbs, you need to tune them with jets and emo tube according to the amount of air your pushing thru them (too much air and they develop flat spots). That's why I ask the question.

To an extent - the answer to your question depends on which intake manifold you are using. In brief there are two different types - One with Long Intake Runners {ie Cannon}, and another with Short Runners. Air/Fuel ratios are one thing - but the velocity of the air flow is also a critical factor in getting the best mixture into the cylinders.

The typical Cannon Long intake runner manifolds seem to work best with sizes 36mm or smaller. Low end performance is supported by the 34's - if your going for top speed the 36's seem to be the way.

FWIW

Carl B.