IGNORED

Parked a 70' 240Z in my garage today...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm proud to say that I just finished up a ~2800km round-trip to tow a new to me 1970 240Z to my house. It needed a boost to turn over, but started easily and drove onto the trailer without issues. I gave it a good cleaning today and it's in better condition than I had expected. I don't have any pictures up yet, but I'll post some soon. Here's a quick summary of what it is.

Body: The body and paint appear to be in pretty good shape, there are a couple of small bubbles/cracks forming where the B-pillar meets the roof line. Also some body damage to the front end fibre-glass pieces. Other than that it looks pretty solid. The fender wells front and back look great, and the floor has been coated with POR-15 or some sort of hardening epoxy paint several years ago. I'm pretty sure it's been re-painted within the last decade. Driver's side window is out of it's track and won't go up. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Upholstery: The black leather upholstery looks very recent, or otherwise kept in immaculate condition. There are no tears in the seats, and most of the diamond-pleather liner is intact and looking good. Sun visors and door panels are near perfect.

Interior: The dash has a very minor crack in it above the clock, and the area beneath the AM radio is broken, as is the mystery assembly by the choke, with some wires hanging out of it. Tach and speedo not working. Clock not working, ammeter and radio works. Leather wrapped, wood steering wheel really needs some reconditioning.

Engine/Transmission: Original L24 AFAIK. Seems to be running rich, and hesitates but really starts to pull at mid to high rpms. Otherwise runs smooth and starts without a stumble. Transmission shifts well through all gears. Clutch feels newish. There is an oil drop coming from the bottom rear of the engine.

Electrical: Where to begin... Pretty much only the starter, horn, AM radio and passenger-side headlight and running-tail lights work. No signals, backup lights, brake lights, or highbeams. Also the driver's side wiper seems to be stripped and only moves on occasion.

So... I plan to start trouble shooting the electrical and working my way towards a road-worthy state in that sence. If I can get it insured and legal to be on the road, I'll attack the carbs and get the mixture issues sorted out. Interior stuff is the least of my worries, and since there doesn't seem to be any immediately threatening rust spots, I think it should be ok to ignore those blemishes for now.

Any advice? This is my first Z-car and it's somewhat sentimental to me for other reasons, so keeping it around for years to come is important. I'm going to start by googling electrical diagrams. The car was recently insured and regristered out of my province, so I'm guessing the electrical issue is probably an easy fix, like a main ground or something. Everything must have worked in it a year or two ago to pass that inspection.

Edited by oranngetang

I couldn't login. I meant to register orangetang... whoops. VIN is HLS3005881, says the old insurance slip. Pics are up.

Edit- Just noticed in picture 4, what looks to be an edlebrock performer intake manifold. I should go check that out. I wonder if someone was planning something... I know he had a 396 in the Nova, but no 350s.

Edited by oranngetang

Thanks everyone. I did some cleaning in it today, and found some parts under the seats and around the truck area. I glued ashtray/lighter bezel back together and it looks great. The interior of the car is really impressing me, but I noticed today the dash has a cap on it, so it's not original.

I feel nervous about starting new threads here as there is so much information, but my searches are coming to dead ends. The second headlight that didn't work was just a corroded connection at the fuse box. It's still a little weak, and not int he best condition so if I can figure out how to remove it, I probably will, and hit the terminals with a small wire brush and some electraX.

The tail light issue and the blinker issue is probably linked to the hazard switch which seems to be broken anyway. You can lift up the lever and it just falls back down. No resistance or feel to it at all. I'm willing to bet if I can get it out and working, or replaced it might solve the issue.