IGNORED

Timing Chain Issues

hamersmt

Im hoping that there may be a simple way for me to solve my issue, and the forum seems to be the best place for answeres.

After limping home as a moving cloud, i realized it was time for a new head gasket. Seeing as how i have done one in my jetta, i figured it wouldnt be that bad, and up until not it wasnt. According to my manuel, i needed to put a wood wedge in the chain in attempts to keep it up. This worked well until trying to install the head once again.

Now after the head is bolted down, im attempting to install the cam gear with the chain in the correct location, and am finding that i have about

1/4" that i need to make up in order for the gear to slide over the camshaft. Is there anyway to "compress" the chain tensoner in order to get the gear on?

Or am i faced with the devilish task of removing the front cover of the motor, just to fulfill this simple task?

Thanks!

The wood wedge isn't only to keep the chain up, it's also to keep the tensioner pushed back to keep the chain from tightening up on you. If you didn't make the wedge long enough and wedge it between the tensioner, I'm not sure you won't have to pull the timing cover off. It's not the end of the end of the world.

A little late, but I made the timing chain tool out of thick plexiglass, in a long wedge similar to the factory tool. It worked for me when I adjusted my cam sprocket.

The original factory timing chain wedge was made of oak and worked famously. In a pinch I've used an inverted wooden handled screwdriver. Later there was a blue OTC plastic wedge that liked to slip because of the plastic. A good hardwood, oak, hickory, or ash, will make a good wedge, not pine.