IGNORED

240z front on a 280z

280z man

hi i wont to chuk a older model 240z front on my 1980 280z as the 240s look a lot better i was just wondering if somone who has done this could give me some insight into how much work is involved and what 240 parts do i need, eg do i need to change the front guards and bonnet? i no ill need grill, bumper, front lip, head light surrounds what else? any help much appreciated, cheers

Jesse:classic:

The bodies are completely different, and I think that includes the major dimensions. You can't just swap parts over. There will be a lot of fabrication and fiberglass/bondo. If any of your mates has a 240Z, take some measurements. Unless you're really good with body work or have access to someone who is, you'll also run into issues when the lines change between the front guards and the door as well as at the bonnet and the base of the windshield. In my 18 years of being around Z cars, I can't recall ever seeing such a swap.

By the way, while you may like the look of the 240Z better, you do have better aerodynamics with the 280ZX.

hi i wont to chuk a older model 240z front on my 1980 280z as the 240s look a lot better i was just wondering if somone who has done this could give me some insight into how much work is involved and what 240 parts do i need, eg do i need to change the front guards and bonnet? i no ill need grill, bumper, front lip, head light surrounds what else? any help much appreciated, cheers

Jesse:classic:

Wow! I thought this grammar form was US-based only. Fascinating. Are you from New Zealand or did you move there from the States. I'm not kidding, seriously, I am interested.

Ok sounds like a lot more work then I thort, could I put a goose nose front end on? Im doing an engeering apprenticeship so I can modify mounts etc but not so good with the body work and dont think im goin to by a 240z, I cant afford it and own to meny cars already and my grammar is nomal for nz I've never been to the us let alone live there, im pritty shure grammar dosn't change we just spell some words different like mom and mum and use different words for things like fenders and front guards, hood and bonnet, trunk and boot

No. None of the S30 body parts are similar enough to fit. None. Period. For one thing, I believe the S130 body is significantly wider.

Edited by Arne

Two clues that the OP has a 280ZX. First, he did say 1980, after S30 production ceased. Second, he's a Kiwi. IIRC, only the North American market received the L28 motor in the S30 body style.

If it was an S30 280Z and not an S130, then there would be ways to make things work.