IGNORED

Why does the 260z get a bad rap.

Hunter260Z

I have a early 260 with the small 240 bumpers a 280 short block with a large valve e31 head with a pair of 70 round tops. It is way more fun to drive then any car should be. Woohooo I have the best of all 3

I have the exact same setup (minus the small bumpers but early 260z bumpers are not that bad) and I totally agree........way too much fun to drive. I probably put 100+ miles on it every week just pleasure driving. Funny, mine actually lived in London, Ontario (home of racer88) for most of it's life (30+ years).

• 1 year later...

The fact that they were limited in production, share the good qualities of the classic Z and the fact that if you don't like something, you can just change it to fit your personal liking, made me love the option of my 260Z.

I am restoring my back to a mix of classic performance mixed with updated luxuries. Retaining the matching numbers engine and tranny, while taking off the emissions regulation and adding some round tops. My 260Z will have the heart and soul of a 260Z but modern tech will make it all my own.

I love all the classic Z's and being able to own are part of history is something that make any of them a treasure for me to have and be a party of restoring.

I'm with Herman. I bought my 260z with triple webers and a L28 swap. It was an AMAZING car, though not stock of course. Either way, I actually LIKE the fact there were so few produced. Sure, it's not the first imported s30, but there's less out there than the 240 owners, and that in itself is a small, though modest, novelty. :)

I kinda like the quilted vinyl covering on the transmission tunnel. It takes about a minute, and you only need a damp rage to clean it. All that carpet in the 280Z can be a bother after driving around on a warm dry day. You an vacuum it to perfection before a car show, but on the way it'll get covered with fresh dust...

In europe and aust they dont have a bad rap at all, but we didnt have the regulations like the us. The shape of the bumpers didnt change that much and the model continued through until the 280ZX took over. Here they are worth the same, just are hard to get as the 240Z

Chas

post-23165-14150822676195_thumb.jpgI'm trying to decide if i got a raw deal or not.

my car is a mid72 240, but had an FK crate motor from a 260z installed some time in the early 80's

it has the round top su's and most of the smog stuff is removed.

anyone have an idea what my 240 with a L26 would do against a stock 240???

seems to be a blast to drive, but having never driven a l24 powered car, I have nothing to compare to.

I always did like the look of the 260's. IMO i thought the 260 interior looked great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60701[/ATTACH]I'm trying to decide if i got a raw deal or not.

my car is a mid72 240, but had an FK crate motor from a 260z installed some time in the early 80's

it has the round top su's and most of the smog stuff is removed.

anyone have an idea what my 240 with a L26 would do against a stock 240???

seems to be a blast to drive, but having never driven a l24 powered car, I have nothing to compare to.

I always did like the look of the 260's. IMO i thought the 260 interior looked great.

If the PO done it right it should have more power than a 240z. Datsun increased the capacity to 260 the compensate for emmisions. The 260z had the same head with bigger inlet valves. I think the exhaust was the same, but someone will correct me if I wrong here. The worsed thing about the 260z engine was the carbs. They replaced the Hitachi SU carbs with flat tops with the square intake/coke chamber. Commonly called emmision carbs. I dont think anyone plays with them much. Most swap to the Hitachi model. Do you know anything about the cam?

Chas