IGNORED

Hardness of large fuel fillerline to tank?

240260280z

I am restoring a 71 240z with fibreglass rear quarter panels.

The installer of the panels did not remove the fuel filler line (~ 2.25" pipe) directly below the gas cap because of either laziness or because of hole size.

I now wish to remove it and install it properly but I will have to cut it out as it is sandwiched at the top between the quarter panel and some inner metal . It is not pliable so I can not pull from the top or bottom (the 3 big philips screws on the back are off)

Since the existing line is very hard and it seems harder than I recall on my 280z; I am hoping that a replacement part will be pliable so that I can fit properly.

Does anyone know if these lines harden over time? Are new ones softer?

With SOME of these old rubber parts, I found they respond to laquer thinner and/or acetone or MEK. Soak a rag with the stuff and wrap it around the hose for a few minuts and it will get soft and expand. It will also destroy the part, so not good if you need to reuse it. But this is a good trick for removing hoses from thin or delicate brass and aluminum nipples before going after them with blades and pry bars.

The trick is getting enough heat, but not too much.... Hair dryers are just barely enough, propane torch is too much (and there's that open flame thing...) , but I find paint stripper heat guns (hair dryers for bald men!) to be the best. Hot enough to burn me, but not hot enough to melt the hose unless you leave it on one spot for a LONG time...

I just bought myself a replacement filler tube from the junkyard the other day. It was somewhat pliable and I was able to squeeze it through the top opening and the metal ring inside the quarter panel. The same car also gave up its brand new rear diff mount....a productive junkyard recce I must say.