IGNORED

Running very rich and mixture screw question

zdude1967

I have a 260z with 3 screw carbs. It is running so rich that the fresh oil on a fresh rebuild is dirty and fuel smelling with only 2.5 hours of driveway idle time on it. Carbon fouled plugs, toxic exhaust. You get the picture. I spoke to Bruce the other day and was given some great hints. In any case I took the pistons out today to check the needle jet height and found that no matter which way you turn the mixture screw located under the carbs -all the way in either direction it seems my jet does not move. I have included some photos. I guess I am trying to understand what part of the jet is susposed to move. I assume it is the center bit, the part that is down about 3/16 below the bridge. Is this correct. Would I actually see visual movement of the jet if I crank the adjustment screw all the way in either direction.

Thanks

Glenn

post-16936-14150815340297_thumb.jpg

post-16936-14150815340973_thumb.jpg

post-16936-14150815341558_thumb.jpg

Clean and lube the carb:

0. Make sure the choke connection to the jet works correctly and the jets raise and lower easily with the choke cables.

1. Take out the jet and clean it as well as the tube where it fits. Spray carb cleaner works great

2. Once cleaned insert the jet and move it by hand up and down. Check for binding.

3. If it still binds, you may wish to gently sand jet with emery paper to help.

PS Spray carb cleaner on all that black stuff and wipe with blue shop rags until just grey aluminum. Do the same for the pistons and domes. Clean carbs work better than carbon-gummed carbs.

Edited by Blue

Not having the chokes hooked up makes it easier.

When you turn the knurled screw to bring jet all the way up until it stops, the top of the jet should be flush with the brass cylinder top that the jet resides in. The jet should move easily when the knurled screw is turned by hand. Any binding will be caused by gunk or corrosion between the jet and the sleeve (brass cylinder in which the jet moves).

After you get the jets moving freely in their sleeves, the needle should be set to it drops all the way down and it's shoulder sits on top of the jet and effectively closes the space between the two.

Edited by Blue