IGNORED

240Z Factory Cartridge-Type Shock Absorber

"Originally Posted by Zedrally

The original struts didn't have "inserts".

The FSM gives instructions on rebuilding them, but to my knowledge no one ever did, rather replacing them with after market inserts.

For histories sake, if you have the part numbers or photo's of these factory parts or boxes, please post them"

It was requested that I, "for histories sake" post pictures and other documentation that these were offered. NOS Factory Shock inserts,

Part numbers 56205-E4125 & 56205-N3785.

post-7454-14150814975483_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150814975594_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150814975697_thumb.jpg

The mate for 56205-E4125 (rear) is 56105-E4125 (front). In 2009 I was able to procure a set of four, three in the US and one from Canada for my 240Z. They arrived "dry" and had to be "filled" with the lubricant during assembly.

The mate for 56205-E4125 (rear) is 56105-E4125 (front). In 2009 I was able to procure a set of four, three in the US and one from Canada for my 240Z. They arrived "dry" and had to be "filled" with the lubricant during assembly.

In this thread I put the wrong part numbers they are actually: Part #'s 56205-E4125 & 56105-N3785

That explains the 56205 and the 56105. But these do not have the same E4125 second half of the part number they are E4125 and N3785. They are wet and ready to install. I know that when you use inserts you need to put a measured amount of oil in the strut tube first to dissipate the heat to the outside strut wall. This tread was started as a result of not wanting to hijack the Bilstein thread. In that original post on this subject the correct part numbers were listed. jlp

Edited by JLPurcell

• 1 year later...

If you are looking to restore a post August 1974 Z car, this is your chance for a NLA strut insert:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-56105-N3725-Strut-Cartridge-New-OEM-/181000655158?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a247ad136&vxp=mtr

Ad:

"Datsun New Strut Cartridge in its origial packaging manufacturers part number 56105-N3725"

Keith

"Originally Posted by Zedrally

The original struts didn't have "inserts".

The FSM gives instructions on rebuilding them, but to my knowledge no one ever did, rather replacing them with after market inserts.

For histories sake, if you have the part numbers or photo's of these factory parts or boxes, please post them"

It was requested that I, "for histories sake" post pictures and other documentation that these were offered. NOS Factory Shock inserts,

Part numbers 56205-E4125 & 56205-N3785.

Getting rid of all of my old parts. These are available, make a reasonable offer. Thanks Jerry

Jerry,

I remember this discussion but don't recall how many cartridges you have, and the specific part number for each one. The #56105 - N3785 would be for the front from 11/74 cars. The @#56205 - E4125 are for the rear from ll/69 - 10/74.

Could you tell me if you have 4 cartridges and the respective part numbers, and, are these dry? You pictured 4 in the initial post. I could be interested in having some spares.

Earlier this year, the shop that does some work for me took a set of factory cartridges off of a customer's car which were rebuildable. I scoured the country and found 4 NOS seal kits needed to do the rebuild. So, I guess I am one of the few that does have a set of rebuilt factory cartridges on there car. With a new set of reproduction springs, the car now sits at factory specs.

I got very lucky in a lot of respects as things just seemed to come together, if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Jerry

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

Jerry,

Earlier this year, the shop that does some work for me took a set of factory cartridges off of a customer's car which were rebuildable. I scoured the country and found 4 NOS seal kits needed to do the rebuild. So, I guess I am one of the few that does have a set of rebuilt factory cartridges on there car. With a new set of reproduction springs, the car now sits at factory specs.

HI Dan:

Not to be nit-picky - - but to avoid confusion of terms - among anyone following this Thread.

The Shock Absorbers contained within the Strut Tube - are Re-Buildable. That is what you use the NOS Seal Kits for.

The "Cartridge Type Shock Absorbers" are NOT re-buildable. You just replace them.

The Shock Absorbers contained within the Strut Tube, use oil contained within the Strut Tube to absorb shock.

The Cartridge Type Shock Absorbers use oil contained within the Cartridge to absorb the shock - plus oil contained within the Strut Tube surrounding the Cartridge - to transfer heat from the Cartridge to the Strut Tube - then to the atmosphere.

I have 2 NOS 56105- E4125 Cartridges- priced at $75.00 each plus shipping, get two rears from Jerry and someone would have a complete set.

Hey - who knows what they would bring on EBay - LOL

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Thanks for the clarification of terms. You are exactly correct. I should have said factory shock "inserts", and not cartridges. These inserts, along with the seal kits, are used to rebuild the shocks.

The FSM outlines the process including the correct amount of oil used. I guess, along with your NOS inserts, one would also need a set of the seal kits. As I mentioned, I found mine after

searching the domestic Nissan parts inventory. So, unless one could find more of these rare kits, future rebuilds may not be possible.

FWIW

Dan

Carl,

...... I guess, along with your NOS inserts, one would also need a set of the seal kits. As I mentioned, I found mine after

searching the domestic Nissan parts inventory. So, unless one could find more of these rare kits, future rebuilds may not be possible.

Hi Dan,

LOL I think there is still a confusion here. Jerry and I have NOS Nissan CARTRIDGES,

The Original Rebuildable Shocks {or inserts} are:

56110-E4126 ASSY-SHOCK ABSORBER - FRONT

The Original Replacement Cartridge Shocks are:

56105-E4125 CARTRIDGE SHOCK ABSORBER FRONT

No Seal Kit is needed when you use the Cartridges. The seals in the cartridges are self contained. Just like all the modern replacement shocks for Strut type suspensions.

I don't have a good picture of the original rebuildable type shocks that came in the early 240Z's. I do have a picture of the rebuildable Nissan Competition Rally shocks - so maybe that will make things a little more clear.

On the top is an after-market Cartridge Type, the rebuildable shock absorber assembly is in the middle and the original Nissan Cartridge Type shock is on the bottom.

OEMTokicoComp.jpg

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

That is why I hire a mechanic that has done this type of thing for the past 35 years. Please look at the attached pages of the FSM that explains what he did. I believe,

when they refer to "packing" they are talking about the seal kit. I am just reiterating what I watch him do to rebuild my shocks/struts. The next time I see him, I will try to get more definitive explanations of the process. In the meantime, please see the attached FSM pages that explain what I am unable to adequately do.

Carl, I will always defer to your knowledge so thanks for your explanations.

Dan

by the way, from my recollection, the inserts or cartridges used looks exactly like the "OEM Replacement Cart." shown in your attachment. As I understand the FSM

description, this is placed in the strut casing or tube, a measured amount of oil is then placed in the strut casing, and then the "glands packing", or "seal Kit" is screwed into the strut casing, The oil is drawn into the cartridge during the dampening operation. Please take a close look at page FA-13, Fig. FA-32.

I am now mentally prepared to be corrected.

post-2148-14150820864635_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150820865114_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150820865503_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZ-240z

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner although it seems you have had good advice and information from the best. The cartridges I have are self contained replacements for the original struts. You remove your factory strut parts and just drop these cartridges in. You do need to put oil in with them but only to act as a heat sink to the housing.

Jerry