IGNORED

License Plate screws?

jharvat

OK, another dumb question. My 73 240z didn't have plates on it when I bought it. The screws to mount the rear plate were missing too. I have tried several different screws but none seem to fit. Does anyone know what specific size screw/thread pattern I should be looking for? The guy at the hardware store is no help.

I thought they were M6 screws also but they only turn a time or two and then stop. I tried several other likely suspects (including the ones off my wife's Ford) and nothing seemed to fit. It could very well be that a former owner force-fed some other type of screw into it.

I may take the other guy's advice and get one of everything from the local O'Reilly's and see if anything fits.

I thought they were M6 screws also but they only turn a time or two and then stop. I tried several other likely suspects (including the ones off my wife's Ford) and nothing seemed to fit. It could very well be that a former owner force-fed some other type of screw into it.

I may take the other guy's advice and get one of everything from the local O'Reilly's and see if anything fits.

Make sure they are 1.25 thread. I used m6X1.25 short/large pan head fastners. If the m6X1.25 will not turn in then Jeff is right someone has installed the wrong size at that point the best solution is to chase the threads with an m6X1.25 tap. If you can not come up with a tap you can take an m6X1.25 bolt file the end to make it slightly tapered and cut two vertical groves in the end and chase the threads. jlp

Is there a way to fit in some of those newer plastic inserts? Those are great for the license plates because they don't rust and you can use any screw that fits well. they also make a small stand-off to keep the plates from touching or rubbing the paint. Granted, you night have to get out the Mototool to make the square holes for the plastic inserts, but is it at east feasible? I assume there is a "nut" attached to the backside of the license plate area.

thxZ

I had the same problem ("... one or two turns..."). I chased the threads with a tap and used SS M6x1.25.

Because I work with SS metric hardware everyday, we very often "roll" the ends of screws and bolts against a flap wheel mounted on a grinder to soften the leading edge, a little dab of anti-seize...

Never had trouble with subsequent hardware removal again.

An inexpensive tap/die set and set of extractors should be part of any Z owners tool box, IMO.

I am amazed at how much trouble I am having locating a store that sells M6X1.25 screws. Everyone has M8s but no M6s. The Nissan dealership was useless. Likewise with the hardware stores I've contacted. BTW, the auto parts stores have all their license plate screws packaged and the package doesn't say the size of the screw or the cars that it fits. I even went out onto the Hillman Fastener website and everything they show for M6 has a 1.0 thread pattern.

I feel like an idiot because I can find a stupid screw - can anyone name a specific store or supplier where they've found these things?