IGNORED

How to Install Rear Sway Bar?

Have the MSA rear sway bar, looking to install in my 70 240Z with 83 ZX 5 speed and R200 diff, with the Arizona Z mustache bar. Has not had rear sway bar before and I don't have instructions about mounting correctly. Looked through prior posts but didn't see anything about installing with my circumstances. Any written instructions with diagrams out there that someone could send me? Will contact MSA Monday, but figured someone has done this before and knows the best way to do this. Thoughts?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I think there should be U clamps that mount on the rear differential hangers that hold it on an early Z.

Like this

IMG_0286.JPG

Yes, you have to have the "replacement" hanger pieces that have the addition material out to the sides that the swaybar attaches to. The ADCO bar I used came with those hanger plates (1973 year of our Lord) Don't know if you got those with your bar but you must have.

Later model Z's that came with the factory rear bar had an attachment point on the floor pan. A reinforced area, and captured nut where the bar was attached to the body.

Steven,

I have one installed in my 71 but it looks like mounts have been fabricated to attach to the floor pan. I also have another rear sway bar I'd like to install on my 72 so let me know what you learn about the brackets and mounting points. The rear bar on my 71 with poly end links makes a huge difference in body roll. You will appreciate the difference it makes on your car. I prefer the look of Blue's install to the one on my 71.

Randy, my rear sway bar has the hanger pieces mentioned above, so I can mount it like the pics show. I believe that you can mount the rear sway bar both ways, but most people like to install like the photos above as a preferred method, instead of drilling into the floor pan. However, the rear sway bar I got is bigger than my front sway bar, so am waiting on getting a beefier front sway bar to install before I add the rear one.

• 10 months later...

I am looking for a rear sway bar that will fit the mountings in the photo above (already have the "hanger pieces" with the tabs for mounting it in the car). The URL where this photo came from "http://jdm-car-parts.com/customizing/bresuspention-techniques-type-rear-swaybar-on-240z/" says that this was a BRE sway bar and that there was also a similar ST one that are NLA. Does anyone know where you can get a similar sway bar today?

• 2 weeks later...