Unknown cutout on S30 Body - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Unknown cutout on S30 Body

Featured Replies

I am uncertain why there is this oval cut out of the rear? Could someone please explain its purpose, or it will get filled in soon.

Jeff

post-19319-14150814619535_thumb.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Appears to be a 260 or 280 with that reverse light opening?

Bonzi Lon

The 280z I parted out had holes like that across the rear directly behind the larger style bumper. I believe they were an attempt to prevent the pressure zone behind the car that cause exhaust fumes to enter the cabin...

Charles

Your 280z is exactly like my 77 280z. My 240z does not have that hole and has a more pronounces opening for the muffler. If you are planning to shave the rear end or smooth it out, you shouldn't encounter any problems at all. And it will look nice!

  • Author

Thanks for the quick explanations. I think it is funny that there are more than a few changes to the different body styles without a pronounced definitive explanation on the purpose of the change. I really think you guys are probably correct with the idea of the exhaust fumes. The later model also has the big bumpers that hide the cutout completely. I will be doing a 240z bumper, hence the question. It is such a luxury to have a vast knowledge base for about any question.

Thanks again

Jeff

After pondering the cut-out some, I've concluded that it has something to do with the shock absorber assembly used on the 280, but not on prior year cars. Could be wrong, tho...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.