IGNORED

1977 280z in a horse barn

Boogalou

Been looking for a 280z for awhile, since my Z31 project is almost finished. I found a 77 280z 5-speed manual close by and took a look at it today. Car shows it has 39,000 miles on it and according to the owner, it belonged to his wife (original owner) who passed away about 3 years ago. She only drove it in the summer and always kept it garaged. When she passed He parked it in his barn and it's been sitting there ever since. Interior is in great shape, basic body is fine with no dents, engine looks clean for sitting for 3 years, etc. The bad thing is that it has bubble rust in a couple of places - underside of back of hood, front fenders at lower rear, passenger door at bottom of window, etc . I couldn't check out the rear panel area because there was no light in the barn except for what was coming through the door and the car was backed up to a wall. Rocker panels looked ok, and I didn't notice any rust under the car from what I could see.

I'm pretty sure I can talk him down in price based on the rust I've found and the fact that it hasn't ran in 3 years. I know he has some sentimental attachment to it since it was his wife's car, but he seemed ready for me to make any kind of offer since he is moving in another month and confided he didn't know to much about the car and wasn't very mechanically inclined to get it in running condition.

I told him I would come back and look at it again if he could get it running (battery was dead) and move it outside so I could inspect the car better to look for rust.

My only concern right now is the amount of body work I may have to do to restore and keep the rust from spreading. He did call me later to say that him and a buddy of his jumped the car and it did turn over. He said he would oil the cylinders and purchase a battery to attempt to get it started and get back with me.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what else I should look for before I make an offer?

All things being equal(no other issues) after the body & non-running issues,$2000.00 tops.And if you're going to buy it,it would be a really,REALLY good idea if he DIDN'T try to start it.He thinks it will be like starting some old GM product with a carb.BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Edited by Z train

I agree with Z train about not starting. I cringed when I read that it had not run in 3 years and someone would try to start it. I pictured bad fuel/rust flowing everywhere. I can imagine wires heating up/shorting from corroded grounds. Stuck rings and valves,etc.,etc.

If you got it, for let's say 2k, and less would be better, maybe there would be enough body parts and stuff to sell off to recover your cost.

One thing i forgot-Horsebarns have no floors.Dirt hangs on to moisture.Get underneath the car before you say a single word about price.And also remember,every single hose is going to have to be replaced wether or not it's dry rotted.Seals will be dry.

Edited by Z train

Where in Michigan are you located? Like Z train said, horse barns have dirt floors, but they also have acidic air from the horse urine. Inspect the underside closely. Be sure to look at the TC mount area and under the battery. The fuel tank is likely full of rust and dried fuel after three years, so at best, the car will need some TLC. I doubt it will start with the old fuel.

Thanks for your suggestions, I forgot about the old gas problem and the engine seals. The car is sitting on concrete so that is a plus. Once he gets it outside where I can see it better I'll make him an offer. Perhaps it's better if he doesn't try to start it. I could trailer it back to my garage and work on it there if he accepts my offer. His price is $4000, but I feel it's because the car belonged to his wife and he doesn't realize the work needed to get the car running, which I attempted to tactfully explain to him. There were even some of her things in the center console yet that he hadn't removed.

Edited by Boogalou

Where in Michigan are you located? Like Z train said, horse barns have dirt floors, but they also have acidic air from the horse urine. Inspect the underside closely. Be sure to look at the TC mount area and under the battery. The fuel tank is likely full of rust and dried fuel after three years, so at best, the car will need some TLC. I doubt it will start with the old fuel.

I live in the thumb area in Vassar.

Thanks for your suggestions, I forgot about the old gas problem and the engine seals. The car is sitting on concrete so that is a plus. Once he gets it outside where I can see it better I'll make him an offer. Perhaps it's better if he doesn't try to start it. I can trailer it back to my garage and work on it there.

Let me know if you need help deciding. I have looked at a lot of S30s over the last 25+ years and can help you understand the condition better. PM me if you need my cell #. :beer:

Was the price added in your edit? If not, I missed it this morning. That's WAY too much for that car. I have rebuilt my whole '78 from the ground up and it's pretty much rust-free. I'd be lucky to get $5k for it and that's with $1000 worth of Panasports! Based of the condition you described, it's a $500 - $1500 car in Michigan depending on the real rust situation. We'd all love to get top dollar out of our cars, but the truth is that they aren't really worth much unless they are super low VIN series 1 cars in 100% original condition. Tell him that he can leave the car in the barn forever, or sell it to you for a fair price so you can bring the car back to life.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone's wondering. I looked at the car again last week and he was able to start it but it only ran for a couple of minutes and quit. He did put new gas in it but was using another battery and we believe the alternator wasn't working. In the light of day it didn't look very good.....

I stuck my fingers through the floor pans underneath the car and there were 3 good size holes in the frame rails underneath the front seats. In fact, the entire front of the car was rusted badly underneath. Based on that, the engine work needed, and the observation that the interior had noticeable wear that would lead me to believe the car had 139,000 miles on it, I decided to pass.