IGNORED

Relined Brake Drums

John Coffey

The new Brembo rear brake drum deal never came to fruition so I've been working with a brake drum relining company (the do Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile aluminum brake drums) to develop a process for relining Datsun aluminum rear drums. The process is in place and we've got a test pair done. What I need to know is what price you folks (who are still running rear drums) are willing to pay for something like this. To give an idea of pricing for the GM restoration crowd, Pontiac drums go for $255 each retail.

Hey John. I can see paying a little more if I wanted to keep a street car "authentic" but since I go through these things like crazy, I can't see paying much more than the steel drums I recently bought. They go for $97.50 at Motorsport Auto. I could go only $25 - $50 above that. Seriously, $225 each!? Maybe a quantity deal though might work? Let's see what others say.

Coop

I'm trying to educate the owner of the company doing the relining. His initial price quote to me is a non-starter so I'm trying to gather information to help him understand the market. And no, I'm not going to tell him $50 each so all you Datsun bottom feeders can post somewhere else... :-)

I'd go up to $150. Some of these hard to find items are going to be expensive. See the price of nice Series 1 hubcaps lately?

I agree but I think there's enough out their that the price won't be over $200 for a while for a set of good drums. $150 might be a little on the high side right now but in two years that might be a good deal.