IGNORED

motorsport auto prices

nahurry

I too purchased the Rockauto cable but when it arrived the speedo end was made of plastic and it was almost a foot longer. The original cable was metal on both ends. My original worked fine, it was just a little old looking so I cleaned it a bit and put the new one on the shelf.

The MSA cable appears to be plated metal on both ends. Maybe that is why it is priced higher. It seems to be closer to OEM than the Rockauto cables, although my ends were not yellow zinc coated, they were silver zinc'd.

John

It looks like rock auto has a 90 and an 80 incher for sale. Does anyone know which to get for a 72? Since those don't get cranked down real hard I would think plastic ends would be fine. The gears that turn them are plastic as well.

As Mike stated you get what you pay for....

I ordered a replacement that had the plastic end at the speedometer and it was a unversal fit that did not screw to the drive and was way to long. Got it to work but have replaced it with the proper cable a long time ago.

Be careful.... FWIW

I'm also in the "you get what you pay for" camp. Since I don't have both in front of me, I can't compare their quality but as one poster commented, the MSA appears to have metal ends. I believe MSA probably takes great care to locate or commission parts with accurate form/fit/function, hence the higher price. Just a guess, not a promo.

In spite of plastic internals, I prefer to have the least amount of plastic possible, particularly on the undercarriage. I find it's a constant struggle to locate parts that are correct, not just "should work" and compare price with the function and the longevity I expect. I juggle the decisions between original (OEM), authentic or upgraded with every purchase.

Z guys are just plain cheap that is all.....it used to be 510 guys that were cheap, now it is Z guys. I prefer the highest quality parts for my car and I am willing to pay for it if I need it. Factory parts first and formost than quality reproductions. If my car is beyond the way it came from the factory or modified a lot I guess any old part will do.