IGNORED

Oil drain plug location

sdelage

Does any one know the oil drain plug location on a late 1976 280Z (WILL MAKE IT A 1977CAR. ???). I need to find an oil pan for that period as my current pan has a oil plug in the back of the pan, and the only ones that I have found contain the plug on the left side(passenger side). Can someone explain to me if I need an oil pan with a side plug or a back plug? Anyone have a correct oil pan that fits my 280z for sale at the moment?

Thanks for the advice!

-Sergio

Short of being 100% authentic in your restoration, I doubt it makes much difference where the plug is. FAIW, I've never seen the plug on the side. My '75 and my '78 both had/have the plug on the back. Maybe that's a 240 or 260 thing. However, I think there's plenty of room for the plug wherever, right???

I have a 77 as well with the drain plug in the rear. Maybe yours was changed at some point? As far as I know, as long as the fluid capacities are above minimum requirements and you don't have any clearance issues/bolt pattern issues, I'm with FastWoman on the location of the plug.

Does any one know the oil drain plug location on a late 1976 280Z (WILL MAKE IT A 1977CAR. ???). I need to find an oil pan for that period as my current pan has a oil plug in the back of the pan, and the only ones that I have found contain the plug on the left side(passenger side). Can someone explain to me if I need an oil pan with a side plug or a back plug? Anyone have a correct oil pan that fits my 280z for sale at the moment?

Thanks for the advice!

-Sergio

Asking the obvious here. What's the change all about?

Thank you for all your help,i am going to look for a oil pan for my 280z with the oil drain pug in the back of the pan not on the side and for a 1977. Now if any one knows where i could get one please let me know,so i can buy one.

Regards

Sergio

Bruce

i have a 1977 280z,and i have had the nissan dealership here in tucson az change the rear main seal (the seal do not leak any more) but the oil pan gasket since then has not stop leaking. Now they told me that the reason is that there was two oil pan support bracket missing wich i have now purshaced from one of the member,there are willing to redo the job and this time use the support for the pan but they are telling me that it is going to be better not to use a oil pan gasket this time and just use silicone.

I am still at lost with getting the dealer fixing my oil pan i got the Z back last week and it still leak!!! it is a thing after the other now the mecanic there is telling me that if it leak again i will have to change the oil pan,dont understand why ??? i have to change it,they say it might be worpt first the rear main seal ,then the clutch slave cylinder,then the oil pan gasket,and now the oil pan.??? he is still not instaling a oil pan gasket even that i gave him one ,if any one as some more sugestions please let me know.I wish they fix it once and for all,so this is the reason why i am now looking for a oil pan so i can enjoy my car.

Thanks for asking any suggestions??

sergio

It' not rocket science to determine if an oil pan is warped or if the bottom of the block has a problem that would prevent a good seal. Use the gasket, that's what it's for. Opinions will vary regarding the use of sealer with or without a gasket. I believe most leaks from new gaskets are from ham fisted techniques - catching the gasket with the pan bolts, uneven tightening, etc. In some applications, a little sealer will hold a gasket in place and insure against shifting/squirming during the pan installation.

IMO, you should look for another mechanic...

BEWARE the dealer mechanic!! Reminds me of the service manager who called several months ago stating his "mechanic" said our carbs, that he was installing for our customer, absolutely would not adjust + they were 260 carbs we sent him. Talk about time to tee off. After months, weeks and years of tongue biting over "things" it really felt good to tell the service manager that his mechanic was drawing pay under false pretenses.

Anyway any real "mechanic" worth the powder to blow himslf to hell ought to able to straighten the lip on an oil pan and install it so it won't leak. Ajob like this seperates the "mechanic" from a parts replacer.

I'm thinking that taking an old Datsun to your modern day NISSAN dealer would be about as worthwhile as rolling it up the door of your local CAT dealer. About the same amount of familiarity.

Sergio.

You still trying to get that thing fixed. I would bet ALL oil pans have some warping to them where the bolts tighten. If the 'mechanic' tries to get a seal on an area like this without using a cork gasket, he is a fool. Find a new mechanic, or---do the job yourself. Its really not hard, and, you might learn something.

A few light blows with a hammer, and check with a straight edge and you can fix the warped pan . It can only be bent where the bolt holes are.

Use a gasket. Thats why Nissan fitted one in the first place.:bulb:

Brian.

Bruce, I think it depends. The PO of my Z had his maintenance done by the local dealer and was on a first-name basis with the mechanic. I talked with the mechanic on the phone once and discussed the fuel pump check valve. He told me where I could probably find one and even rattled off the part number for memory. This is just to say there are sometimes old-timers on staff at these dealerships. It's not a common thing, but sometimes it happens.