IGNORED

A wilde ride home today, white knuckel

5thhorsemann

Decided to take the long twisty way home today as we are looking at nasty weather for the rest of the week and the Z goes in the barn when moisture falls from the sky.

So I'm following an RX-7 and we are going along at a pretty good clip. there is a stretch of road called the 7 sisters, it's a really fun series of 180 degree left right lefts. Divided highway, no shoulder, guard rails one side and a steep embankment on the other. Taking the turns at around 50 mph, the guy in the RX is using his brakes to manage his speed, I'm using the gas peddal and gears. He brakes hard fo one of the tighter turns, luckily I was far enough back that when I needed to hit the brakes, and found out I didn't have any, that I could use the emergency brake to avoid rearending the RX. And I'm here to tell you I missed his arse end by inches!

Looks like the drivers side wheel cylinder blead out, as soon as my hands stop shaking I'll pull the wheel and check her out. Thank God for that manual brake, the last dozen or so miles were a real chore.

And for the hunnurt and eighty forth time, let's review again why it's important to renew all the pieces to a system when you aquire a new old Z or any vehicle for that matter. i.e. a new master cylinder will only be a good investment 'til it overpowers and blows out an old slave cylinder.

Not saying that's what happened here, just using this case as an example.

Thus endeth the sermon....

"And I'm here to tell you I missed his arse end by inches! ".....AKA in the hockey world as a KICK SAVE! Hmmmmmm I've been there before but instead of braking I made an abrupt lane change. Still it never pays to follow TOO CLOSELY. I'm glad nothing happened to anyone or anything.

I don't have to imagine the feeling that came over you. A couple of years ago, the steering column locked up on me dead solid. I was only going about 40 on a single lane road with a gentle bend and had no choice but to follow where the Z car wanted to go. I slammed on the brakes and hung on for dear life. I went across the oncoming lane, onto the grass shoulder, partially through a bush and stopped inches from a stone wall. Yes, shaking hands and extreme confusion. I had been going 70 on a twisty highway minute earlier!

Turns out that a stray bolt got in between the cross member and the lower u-joint of the steering shaft, and wedged.

Edited by cygnusx1

As suspected, catastrophic failure of the rear left wheel cylinder. No warning, just let go. I put new pads and shoes on it last year and inspected the entire system before putting the car on the road. Just one of those things I guess. So what is our best source for new wheel cylinders?

I would suggest Coutest, MSA or BD. But being impatient as I am, I found high quality, brand new ones at the local parts house here in Houston -so I got them that day!

I am glad that you didn't crack her up. I bet the veins in you neck were pumping! - you know that feeling.

Stay Safe!

Phew! Glad you're OK.

I think it was Mark Twain who said something like, "Humans are remarkable for their capacity to learn from their mistakes and equally remarkable for their incapacity to learn from the mistakes of others."

A complete brake refresh is on my list this year. I think I'll get more serious about it!

I got some raised eyebrows when folks heard what I paid for my Wildwood set-up-all 4 corners, but I always said that if i was going to pay crazy money on anything it would brakes. Yes the Z brakes are adequate, but I plan on having fun with this car and I don't have to worry about a 40 year old brake system. Plus once you drive a car with Wildwoods all the way around, you'll think your driving a new car and have the confidence of those awesome working brakes.

Glad your okay!

As suspected, catastrophic failure of the rear left wheel cylinder. No warning, just let go. I put new pads and shoes on it last year and inspected the entire system before putting the car on the road. Just one of those things I guess. So what is our best source for new wheel cylinders?

Glad it ended with no major issues! These little "surprises" are no fun at all!

I would say Rockauto, eBay or Napa for replacements. MSA and Black Dragon too, but probably a bit higher. Regardless, the "quality" cylinders are still up around $100 each!

I just finished the complete rear suspension and disc brake conversion on the 240z. When I saw the total cost related to replacing ALL drum componants, I was at nearly the same amount that the disc conversion would cost. I decided to go with Discs due to the fact that I understand them more and they are easier to work on if needed.