IGNORED

How often do you drive your vintage Z?

bavarian06

Well

Project 6/70 hasn't been driven since October 2005, that's when it had a main harness fire. Project 3/72, (see photo album) although it may not be a daily driver it will get plenty of miles. I strongly agree that these cars, or any car for that matter need to be driven. I never beat on any car I've owed so no need to start now. I can't wait for the long SoCal trip. After the expense and time involved I just can't see letting it sit.

P-nix sounds like a lovely 2.5K mile outing for my Z, if my right leg can handle the job (so used to cruise control). My old Z is driven as often as I can get to it, typically about 500 miles per year (way less than I'd like to drive it). Two years ago, I had more track miles than road miles on it. Just turned 73K miles.

Here's a challenge for all y'all.... my step-son narrates.

http://www.royalpurple.com/reelwars/

Sadly I am the day care driver in the mornings, so I have to take my son in my WRX.

So, am I a bad guy for putting a booster seat in my Z and driving my kids?(one at a time of course). I know they love being in the Z.

These cars need to be driven, and driven hard. They will take it happily and want more. I'm doing around 2,000/year on the Z, and hope to do more when I have finished the car.

Easily staying within my Hagerty's 2500 mile limit.

Actually Hagerty doesn't have a mileage limit. From their website:

Freedom to enjoy your car

We believe cars are made to be driven. So our policy allows limited pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits. Whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows, you're covered. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you.

-Mike

Daycare, here we come! My son requests turbo boost about every mile. He loves the way it makes him feel weightless. I bought my 76 in 1989 with 69k miles, all original. Now it has about 170k miles but almost everything has been upgraded in one way or another. I minimize rainy use and ban snow/salt use.

1221180536_nMPET-L.jpg

I think Hagerty frowns up using the car regularly for commuting, and that's about it.

Edited by cygnusx1
  • Like 1

Dave, your photo reminds me of when I would drive my older son to preschool everyday in my '75 Z that I had owned since well before he was born. He loved that car too and would always say "Z-car" with such an enthusiastic voice and often a little hop. He talked about my legendary car even years after my ex made me sell it. He was 5 years old at the time.

Skipping ahead to a couple of years ago, I remember talking to a young man in college (my older son) about the purchase of my '78 Z. He said, "You got another Z-car? Cooool!" He had that same lilt in his voice when he said "Z-car." Very cute. :)

Sadly I am the day care driver in the mornings, so I have to take my son in my WRX.

My kids fight over rides in the Z. In fact, when potty training my twin boys the only thing that worked was to bribe them with a ride in Dad's car. If they put a dookie in the potty then they would get a ride. Two weeks later and a couple of tanks of gas, they were trained.

Edited by steve91tt

never thought of that. We are potty training now. Almost have it licked. He loves sitting in the passenger seat, but he is only 3, and the only child seat we have is his convertible rear facing to forward facing and it is almost as big as my Z. So perhaps when I get him into a toddler forward facing seat,we can get him in the Z! Great idea!

My '73 is a 50% DD, about 8K miles a year, and I use my GMC Envoy for carrying job equipment and hauling the boat. The Z is 98% original except for a Rotosound radio and a speaker box I got from Oliver up in Snohomish WA. My cars are meant to be driven; I don't want a vehicle I'd be afraid to drive or park in a parking lot.

We are potty training now. Almost have it licked...

I understand, of course, but somehow the choice of words is, uh... unappetizing? ROFL