IGNORED

Why do these cars sell for so little $ ?

Healey Z

They made more mustangs in one month back in 1965 then they did in a full year of Z's. Nice examples of early mustangs regularly change hands between $20-$30K, usually of the convertible and fastback variety. I've owned a number of mustangs over the years and sold my 66 fastback late last year to fund the current project.

The early 240Z is a better driving, more practical, more reliable and more sporty car than the early mustangs. I know I am trying to convince the people on my own team that we should win, but I was really surprised when I started to look into how much car you get for the $ on these Z's.

Officially on the look out for a low mileage early Z.

By American production numbers the Z's were produced in minuscule numbers.

I worked for the company referenced above and one recall of one model over a production of a few weeks could eclipse Nissan's whole Z production for a year.

It's the "J" word here.

But in Japan, cars like certain Isuzu's are cult classics along with the Z, Toyota XX, etc.

What you have done to your Healey would be considered sacrilege by many purist aficionados in Britain.

I'm thinking, more reliable and maybe fewer leaks. Hopefully all the Lucas electrics have been modified as well.

I remember being ousted from a technical training class in the UK by a nice Scotsman when I stated that even British TV's leak oil.

I remember being ousted from a technical training class in the UK by a nice Scotsman when I stated that even British TV's leak oil.

Brits are a little stodgy. ;)

Edited by Arne
Cleaned quote tag

Officially on the look out for a low mileage early Z.
FWIW - the sweet spot in 240Zs here in Oregon seems to be $6-8k. Solid cars that will need some sorting to be "right". Still affordable and generally solid. Most will need paint, but not immediately. Minor projects run from $4-6k. Less than $4k is generally either a real bargain, or a major project.

But also around here, you can expect to find 240Zs between $8-12k that are nice, un-rusted cars with reasonably low mileage. They will likely have a few issues, but in that price range you can find a drivable, fun Z. I know that there is one described that way in the local paper here now. I haven't seen it, so I take the seller's description with a large grain of salt.

Edited by Arne

What you have done to your Healey would be considered sacrilege by many purist aficionados in Britain.

As best I can tell by the receipts, the swap was done 25 years ago. I picked the car up for a song a few months ago. It would be $15K-$18K to put a rebuilt/original Austin drivetrain back in. Just not economically feasible. Compare this to the low mile/rebuilt 42/47 long block I got for $300 and had the tranny overhauled for $650.

The interesting thing is Donald Healey used engines from other companies in all his cars. Donald Healey used engines, transmissions from Riley, Alvis, Nash as well as Austin and the next model was going to use a Rolls Royce engine. The Austin Healey 3000 shares the engine with another model: the Austin dump truck.

The horsepower of the car with the new drive train is increased by 6.6% (136 hp vs 145 hp). While the weight of motor/trans is decreased by approximately 200 pounds! (728 lb vs 523 lb). The weight difference is equivalent to about 12 hp, making the Z drive train a 15% power improvement over the original Healey engine / trans. Certainly the cost of maintenance, reliability.....is also vastly improved.

The electrical system has also been coverted from the +12v ground that came from the factory to the -12v ground as is the normal convention.

I am building the car for me and when I get it all back together, hopefully next month, I will post a project summary, with a ton of pictures.

They made Mustangs by the millions, but did you ever try to find a 1967 Mustang in a run-able or even restore-able condition? The stripped unit-body can cost as much as a running 240Z.

My wife wanted me to restore a 67 for her after I got the Z running. I went looking for one to start from, and ended up buying a 2008 GT for her. (Less money, and more drivable.)

There's always exceptions- I don't make the rules, but I am familiar with the equations. I've got 2 Z cars myself, and have little interest in Mustangs. I once witnessed a guy bid $600,000 for a Boss 429 a few years ago at Barrett-Jackson, and I nearly fainted. Not my thing, but a lot of people can identify with them.

Nicely maintained, early 240Z's with no needs can easily get into the teens, so there is a ready market out there for good cars. I would expect that fully restored examples will regularly push into the $40s at some point into the near future.

I have never owned a Z, but have had some 510's and a roadster in my youth. Looking through the local Sacramento craigslist this morning, I was really surprised at how little these Z cars are selling for. I'm sure most of these cars are in need of a lot of work, but still. I may need to do an early Z after this Healey project.

The average: $2,760

The average without the one $17.5k car: $2,090

1970 240z datsun - $2000

1971 240z- $1500

1971 240Z DATSUN - $1200

1971 240Z Datsun - $1700

1972 240Z - $1000

1972 240z - $2000

1972 240z badass! - $3000

1972 240Z Project - $2500

1973 240Z Datsun - $4000

1974 260z $2200 obo

1974 260z datsun runs new tires has some probs - $1200

1975 280Z Datsun 47K orig miles - $17500

1977 280Z Toyota - $500

1978 280Z NISSAN 280Z $4000

1979 280ZX datsun - $1500

1979 280ZX Dutsan - Nissan- $1800

1981 280ZX Nissan / Datsun Clean title, Smg'd, Reg- $1800

1982 280ZX datsun coupe - $4000

1982 280ZX Datsun GAS SAVER - $1200

1982 280ZX NISSAN/DATSUN TURBO - $1700

1983 280Z Datsun Turbo 5spd T tops - $800

1983 280ZX NISSAN TURBO ENGINE - $1400

1983 280ZX Nissan/Datsun Turbo- $5000

And I wonder what this one would do for the average?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-240z-Datsun-240Z-26K-Miles-Museum-Condition-Time-Capsule-/290545169512?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a5d77468

Of course, I think mine is better ;)

Edited by motorman7

It just goes to show that you can ASK anything you want for a car, but it may not be anywhere near what someone else would pay for it.

-Mike

Mustangs have the advantage of a large aftermatket support. There is no such thing as a part is no longer produced. Ford recognized finally that it was the restorers and collectors could make them money by licencing reproduction parts. Entire bodies officially licenced as a Ford part.

Doubt that's viable with Z's because there are far fewer to support the after market.

Yeah the Z is a bad investment once you get past that "sweet spot" in value. Spend smartly and keep cost around 6-8k and might get your money back on a good looking good running car. Go over that and you're just spending money for something you enjoy that can't return its value. And that's fine. How many of us have had or still have hobbies that cost alot to enjoy but you can't sell? Like playing golf? Can easily cost alot of money and return nothing but the fun and frustration of the game.

The interesting thing is Donald Healey used engines from other companies in all his cars. Donald Healey used engines, transmissions from Riley, Alvis, Nash as well as Austin and the next model was going to use a Rolls Royce engine. The Austin Healey 3000 shares the engine with another model: the Austin dump truck.

The Austin Healey 3000 engine is just a variant of the BMC 'C' series, which debuted in 1954 ( in the Wolseley 6/90 saloon ) and was the product of the Morris side of BMC, rather than the Austin side.

I don't know what Austin "dump truck" you are referring to but the 'C' series was fitted to a wide range of BMC models over a long period, such as the Austin A90, A95, A99, A105 and A110, the Riley Pathfinder and Two-Point-Six, Morris Isis, MGC and Austin 3-Litre saloon. It was a decent, rugged and simple OHV design which gave good power when tuned. It won rallies and races.

You can play the same "dump truck" game with the Nissan L-gata if you want to. How about "fire pump", "fork truck", "compressor", "industrial lift", "tug boat" and "dredger pump", for example?

Donald Healey had very little to do with your car. Austin used his name under license.

Hey HS,

I think your comments on the motor are fair; the famous Ford 428 motor was regularly used in dump trucks in that era too.

I just finished Donald Healey's autobiography and was a great read. He details the string of associations he had with other companies. He did note that he retained the design responsibility and approval of any changes on all the Austin Healey cars, all the way up to the very end of their association.

Originally Posted by motorman7

And I wonder what this one would do for the average?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...item43a5d77468

I bet there are a number of pampered early models still out there. Officially on the look out.