IGNORED

1977 280z unserviceable U-Joints

asuly

Hi, I know that their are some threads on questions like this, but none of them seem to give a straight answer. Im 15 and starting to get very intrested in Z's.

Ive been trying to get my engine+transmission ready for removal and ive got everything disconected except for the trans mount and the driveshaft. My question is how do I remove the drive shaft from the transmission? I didnt see any u joint clips so after some research i found the the u joints are unserviceable. How am I supposed to disconnect them? Ive been trying to unscrew the 4 bolts by the differential but they are very inaccesable. are there any other ways?

Thanks for any help!

Alex

You have to disconnect the driveline from the rear diff. The bolts are a PITA! but it needs to be done. The driveline then slips right out of the tranny. Be prepaired to loosed oil there. If you plan to pull the tranny and engine together, save yourself some grief and drain the oil out of the tranny first.

Good luck! It isn't all that difficult if you are already confident in pulling the motor and trans.

Leonard

Ok thanks alot! Ill try to get in there with a normal wrench. Right now I have the back wheels on ramps and the front is on jack stands. Do you have any idea where I can place the jackstands on the rear side? That way I can get under their a little better. Would it be wise to remove some of the rear suspension components to acess the bolt easier? Thanks!

Ok I put the back on jack stands but I am not completely sure i put it in the right place. I looked at the FSM but the pics are a little hard to see. I took a couple pics and attached them.

Also what do you mean by rotating the driveline? Ive heard this before but I never understood how? :stupid:

Thanks for the help everyone

PS. sorry for the crappy pics.

post-23743-14150813921865_thumb.jpg

post-23743-14150813922188_thumb.jpg

After you initially get the bolt lose, hold the wrench stationary and rotate the driveline 1/8th turn or whatever it might be and then reposition the wrench. It is easier than trying to the wrench in that tight area. It is a preference thing I suppose. I think you'll catch on.

I can't tell from your pics. When I use stands, I put them under the seat belt indentations on the floor. The key is a good solid location that is out of the way, won't do damage to the car, and SAFE.

Technically there is no need to remove the driveshaft at all if you remove the engine and trans as a unit. Drain the trans first and just take the engine/trans out. Drive shaft just slips out. Done it several times including putting it back by lining it up on the way back in. Call me lazy.

Removing the driveshaft is easy. I have a set of cheap, thin offset wrenches that I've used to do that job many, many times over the years. He's pulling his engine so what you describe would work for him this time but for times when he's not, it still would be helpful to know how the remove the driveshaft.

Sticking a screwdriver through the u-joint yoke is an easy way to rotate the driveshaft, to break the nuts loose.

Get the wrench on the nut, then get the other end of the wrench pegged against a body part (the car's not yours) stick the screwdriver though the yoke and break the nuts loose by turning the driveshaft with the screw driver.

Pretty sure I read the method here or on another forum and I've used it several times. It's easier and more convenient than trying to lock the brakes or put the car in gear.

Ok thanks everyone for the help I think i will just try my luck again tommorow or next weekend by rotating the driveshaft (might just slide it out like Zkars said). Im going to document my 'restoration' (half restoration) and ill let everyone know how it goes. Dont have much time right now with school and all. thanks for all the help!