IGNORED

240-Lower or not Lower?

5150 will

FWIW, I think part of the reason people these days all think the 240Zs sit too tall on stock springs has nothing to do with the springs, but is because the cars all have gas-charged shocks these days. Gas shocks raise the 240Z ride height by about 1/2 - 3/4". When I bought my car with factory springs and non-gas inserts, the ride height was fine. Adding the gas KYBs made it too tall.
I forgot to mention the other part of the "my Z is too tall" issue. Because of the almost complete lack of even semi-sporty rubber in 14" sizes remotely close to stock height, many 240Zs these days have tires on them that are significantly shorter in height. This makes the fender gap much larger, and therefore makes the car appear too tall. In this case, a change to 15 or 16" wheels (where appropriate sized performance tires can still be found) will close up the gap and improve appearance, without actually changing the ride height.

Just got the 240Z on the ground (Saturday) after the complete F/R suspension rebuild.

Suspension Technique springs and Tokico blues.

The rear is LOW. Looks great! I still need to get all front sheet metal and doors back onto the car to get a "real" look at the stance.

Couple of bad cell phone pics below, but you get the idea. Can't wait to get this car on the road!

Now I can finish the body work!

Tim

post-16464-1415081385929_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150813859969_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

Tim, are those 8" wheels?

Good eye! Yes they are! 15" x 8".

Due to the cancer around the wheel wells and the associated chopping that I would need to do to fix it all, I have decided to go ahead and run ZG’s. I will be taking the cutoff wheel or a friend’s plasma cutter to this within the next 3-4 weeks!

Once done, I will either run rear spacers initially (to push the wheels out to the flares) or will begin looking for new wheels/tires immediately. These are 15x8 XXR's with 225/50/15 Falken Ziex tires - They are BRAND NEW! Hate to sell them, but... ;) I will most likely run 16's once the car is ready.

Tim....Make sure you triple check your exhaust clearance....especially with two people in the car.

Good call! Thanks for the info. I only have the open header for now. I will be taking the car to the exhaust shop just before or just after I paint the car. Should be interesting!

Edited by SSuspect

I'm getting ready to install a new set of Tokico blues and I'm on the fence whether to install some Eibach springs or not. Basically I'm looking for input from 240 owners that have lowered with springs and if you have any regrets or not in doing so. Thanks, Will

We took off our dead shocks and dead stock springs recently. Put on the Tokico Blues and Tokico Lowering Springs. The springs should be the same as the Eibach springs your looking at. It is a good street compromise. Anything stiffer or lower would be too much for around town. Our car is a track car (road race) and it made a noticeable difference on the track. Later we'll do something more aggressive, but for now it's good.

Having had the Tokico red springs, then the Eibach pro-kit springs MSA sells back to back, I can tell you that the Tokico springs will give you a lower stance than the Eibachs, I'd say anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" in the front (all other things being equal). The rears seemed to be roughly the same between the two spring kits. This was on a set of Tokico blue shocks just like you're using.

I think the front Tokico ride height gave it a meaner look, but it had two drawbacks I'd highlight:

1) The front airdam was low enough that I had to drive the car up on some 2x6" boards so I could get the tall part of my Harbor Freight jack under it. It was one extra step, but a bit of a PITA when doing suspension work. Also had to lower the front wheels back onto the blocks to make sure I could get the jack out from under the car.

After switching to the Eibachs, the front rode just a little higher, but high enough I could forget all that nonsense with the boards.

2) The ride was a bit harsh, at least for the streets where I live. It was pretty bone jarring sometimes.

The Eibachs ride a lot smoother IMO when hitting rough patches.

As far as advantages of the Tokico set:

1) Looks meaner to my eye, the Eibachs always made the front look like it was riding a little high to me.

2) Easier to install, at least for the rear (?) springs the unsprung length is less than the full travel between the perches, so you don't need to monkey around with spring compressors every time you take the assembly apart. Although, this could also prove to be a drawback because the springs could technically jump the perch, especially when putting your car down off of jackstands. You need to be careful that the springs are properly seated in the perches after lowering it.

Edited by Inf

I just bought the Tokico Illumina package (ILK 252) and it is still in transit. Should I have gotten something else? From all I could find to read, it was the most straight forward setup and one of the most highly regarded, but I don't see any mention of it in this thread. Now I am second guessing? And since I am already here, what about strut boots? I assume they should be installed. I have KYB 103's coming (with bump stops)

I just bought the Tokico Illumina package (ILK 252) and it is still in transit. Should I have gotten something else? From all I could find to read, it was the most straight forward setup and one of the most highly regarded, but I don't see any mention of it in this thread. Now I am second guessing? And since I am already here, what about strut boots? I assume they should be installed. I have KYB 103's coming (with bump stops)

That should be fine. I was going to mention the bump stops, but you already went there.

When we did our springs and shocks, we also did all the suspension bushings. Bought a complete polyurethane bushing kit (black). We did the fronts in a day and it took two days to do the rear. This included the rack mounts and steering joint which we did on another day.

Hmm... Don't forget to service the steerer bearing at the top of the front struts.