IGNORED

Most cost effective LSD 240z swap.

DjHoon90

motivator1789543.jpg

To be fair, that one has welded spider gears. The big issue with the R200's is guys doing burnouts and drag racing and wallowing out the cross pin shaft hole, and the welded spiders fixes that. It's all in my big sticky post over on Hybrid Z.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

Really though, some people can break ANYTHING. I know a guy who broke a mustache bar in half.

For a cheap LSD solution, I don't think you can beat the OBX R200 differential. It's a Chinese made Quaife copy and is frequently assembled wrong, but that is easily checked and fixed if it is a problem. The LSD is $400 last I heard. It's not the highest quality part, but if cheap is the priority, it is cheap.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/88099-obx-differential-inspection-and-installation/

FWIW, I'd really like to see someone do a Ford 8.8 IRS rear end. Strong, lots of gear ratios and LSDs and lockers available, and I believe it is quite a bit lighter than the R200, but you'd have to figure out mounting, halfshafts, everything to make it work.

We put a Subaru STi R180 in our 240z. It jumped right in. All we had to do was stand back and watch. It has four pinions and a clutch (not viscus). We got it in for less than $800. Bolted right in, no mods to the car. Still using the stock drive shaft and axle shafts.

If you want the long version, here's the link to the Hybrid Z thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/78123-subaru-wrx-sti-r180-side-axles/

Ive decided that the Quaife just simply is not in my budget, and if i were going to do the STI R180, i would be spending about 450 for the diff, and a crazy 500 for those stub axles. and with that much money i might as well buy the quaife.

So ive narrowed it down to 2 options, Get a LSD from a 300zx turbo for around 650$ or get the OBX for about 400$

Which is a better purchase? Keeping in mind that il be running an LS1?

IMO the clutch LSD is better, but there are plenty of people who think that the gear LSDs are God's gift to traction. If you do the clutch LSD, you should remove the stock spacers and add more clutches. Info on Hybrid Z, there is a sticky on it. Stock they won't hold that kind of power, but with the spacers removed it should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...