IGNORED

mustang vs any z

superj243

It's been done several times. A guy who goes by ScottieGNZ over at Hybrid Z has put that Buick V6 in a Z and an RX7 and who knows what else. I think his was right at that 10 sec quarter mile time when he sold it. There were a couple others too, haven't seen them posting much over there lately.

I have to agree when you say mustang I think of the Vanilla Ice 5.0 convertable which I've had mixed results with. With the '82 280zx I used to have I won some, I lost some and that was with a stage three cam, Edlebrock four barrel, header, Tokico's front and rear and some other bits of fun here and there. So it all depends on the mustang.

• 4 weeks later...
i was not just talking about my zx. i was talking about any model z.

That's like comparing apples to squirt guns.... there are no parameters.... yes a Mustang will beat a Z and a Z will beat a Mustang.... which one were you thinking of...???

The Mustang 5.0 will do 0-60 in 4.3 whereas the stock 370Z will do it in 4.7 but who cares? I'd rather go around the corners or parked in the garage with a 370Z than have a Mustang. They are a dime a dozen and the looks haven't been updated for 15+ years, interior looks like a 60's car and don't they still have a live rear axel? Sure its a cheap fun car but I'd like a little more refinement in a new vehicle....

That's like comparing apples to squirt guns.... there are no parameters.... yes a Mustang will beat a Z and a Z will beat a Mustang.... which one were you thinking of...???

The Mustang 5.0 will do 0-60 in 4.3 whereas the stock 370Z will do it in 4.7 but who cares? I'd rather go around the corners or parked in the garage with a 370Z than have a Mustang. They are a dime a dozen and the looks haven't been updated for 15+ years, interior looks like a 60's car and don't they still have a live rear axel? Sure its a cheap fun car but I'd like a little more refinement in a new vehicle....

You betta check yourself before you wreck yourself. ;) The new Mustang will eat the new Z alive on a road course. It was .1 second slower than the M3 at Streets of Willow. If you know the track it is basically like a big autocross, not the kind of track where huge amounts of hp can overcome crappy suspension. I think the new Z would likely be several seconds slower on this twisty, short course.

• 4 months later...

I think i understand where the original author is coming from. I am also a little cocky when it comes to driving my z on the street. When i see someone driving a mustang i see someone who bought that car for a specific reason, weather its because they are an old man who loves classic american muscle, a cocky teenager who wants to look cool, or a 17 year old girl with rich parents. When i see that cocky teenager who thinks that his mustang is the hottest thing on the streets i would very much like to put him in his place.

I almost bought one of those bumper stickers with the little guy peeing on a mustang decal LOL

2450 and 400hp... eventually.

I'm guessing 2500 with me and 212 HP. The calculator says it' should be a little over 13 seconds and almost 103 MPH. Seems optimistic to me...

I do remember years ago watching a late 70's Chevy SS driven by a teenager take on a good driver in a Lotus. The Lotus took off and left the SS in the dust while he ineffectually spun his tires. It's often not just the car, but also the driver...

I do remember years ago watching a late 70's Chevy SS driven by a teenager take on a good driver in a Lotus. The Lotus took off and left the SS in the dust while he ineffectually spun his tires. It's often not just the car, but also the driver...

You're bringing back high school memories for me. My high school autoshop teacher had a great story about this. There was a kid with a 500 hp hot rod with a big blower and the teacher raced him across the parking lot (probably 75 feet from one building to the next) on FOOT. The kid spun the tires, teacher ran like hell and beat him. Traction counts.

The other great one we had was Tom Nelson (of Nelson Racing Engines-used to sit right behind me in Auto I) taking on another kid in a burnout distance bet. Longest burnout wins. The other kid had way more hp than Tom, but tom showed up with a space saver spare tire on. Needless to say, he won the bet. 300 something feet before he let off.