IGNORED

Please help!No ones on 280ZX. Fuel pump problem

280TurboZX

I remember a very similar thread a while back from one of the forums. The problem was a poor ground of the ECU to the body. Apparently the ECU housing itself needs a good ground. Try re-seating the screws that hold the ECU to the body. If you have an ohm-meter, make sure that you have good continuity to ground for the ECU case.

p.s. if you decide to give it up, for $1000, please post it here first. That would be a decent deal for a running turbo Z.

Edited by Zed Head

I believe Zed Hed might be on the right track. I own a 81zxt and had similiar fuel pump problems, but it wound up being a clogged return line that would over pressurize the system.

I think your problem is different and I have also read that the ground layouts were not the best on these cars. Grounds are very important to this type system that uses ohms readings to regulate the engine. Go back in there and check the cleanisness of your grounds and the tightness also.

Thanks so far for some input. I've been ripping connectors apart and cleaning them, Even removed ECU, Took apart and visually checked all solder joints and electronic parts. Scraped(To Bare metal) all ground contacts points and screw head bases . Resprayed contact cleaner on the three connections. And now I still have to kick the box to get my pump to operate properly. So now when I turn the key to ON before cranking,my Fuel pump relay starts clicking and I can hear the pump pulsate.Once I hear the relay Stop clicking and the pump goes full cycle(runs striaght for about 5 second,then stop(pressures up)) I know I can turn the key further and crank/start the car. Sounds like I need another ECU box. I have a 1982 Datsun 280ZX Turbo with Automatic ECU# A18 602 045... Anybody have an extra for sale or give to help out a buddy. Thanks

Hey All, I tore the cover off and started the car(holding the ECU) I pressed on the circuit board in different spots and wallaah.The car died and the pump relay started clicking, I pressed again in the same spot and the clicking stopped and the pump,pumped up. It then would start. I did this numerous times with the same results. So I removed the ECU and hit the solder gun on all the joints around that area. Reinstalled and tried again. But This time the engine didn't die. NO More Clicky. I sure hope that fixed it... Sure sounds like it did, It also ran smoother So maybe I Killed the gremlin.