IGNORED

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

Drove it back home successfully after the first drive since the suspension rebuild, and multitude of other smaller fixes. After all that work it reminds me of why I love my Z!

Tach now works, but speedometer doesn't. Looks like they have an inverse relationship, when one works the other doesn't. Gotta love old cars...

Picked up my finished gas tank. I had it cleaned out with an acid, a few small holes repaired and then a coating on the inside. Also had it painted with a type of undercoat for further protection. This thing will probably outlive the car.

misc%20012b.JPG

misc%20021b.JPG

Still fooling with my barn car. She starts and runs easily, seems like the sticky rings in cyl #1 are getting better. Much less smoke than the first few times. First day the fog left a film on everything in the shop.

Did a compression test: 170, 170, 170, 170, 180, 175.

Removed clutch master and slave (both stuck), brake master (also stuck), calipers (pucks were perfect), wheel cylinders (one stuck). Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled. Blew out lines and replaced parts on car. All components were reusable, flex lines all look good. Today I hope get everything bled and see what else I can check off the list.

Almost all the lights work as expected. Got some mouse chewed wires at the right rear to splice back together and that's it. Gauges and cabin electrics seem good. Drop and clean the gas tank, replace the fuel hoses. Drain the coolant and replace the rotten molded hoses (all of them). I may even have air conditioning, there's still pressure in the system. Find some tires. Get registered and go for a ride! It's just a couple days away. I quiver with anticipation.

Still fooling with my barn car. She starts and runs easily, seems like the sticky rings in cyl #1 are getting better. Much less smoke than the first few times. First day the fog left a film on everything in the shop.

Did a compression test: 170, 170, 170, 170, 180, 175.

Removed clutch master and slave (both stuck), brake master (also stuck), calipers (pucks were perfect), wheel cylinders (one stuck). Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled. Blew out lines and replaced parts on car. All components were reusable, flex lines all look good. Today I hope get everything bled and see what else I can check off the list.

Almost all the lights work as expected. Got some mouse chewed wires at the right rear to splice back together and that's it. Gauges and cabin electrics seem good. Drop and clean the gas tank, replace the fuel hoses. Drain the coolant and replace the rotten molded hoses (all of them). I may even have air conditioning, there's still pressure in the system. Find some tires. Get registered and go for a ride! It's just a couple days away. I quiver with anticipation.

Your compression numbers are low but this could be from how you tested it. they are consistent witch is very good. Try spraying some pentrating oil in the spark plug hole and let it sit this will help the rings loosen up some. Also with the plugs pulled test the force it takes to turn the engine this is a good test to see if the parts are dragging a little or they are heavily worn in the engine.

I will finally get mine back on the road after stripping the undercoating off and primer/painting it all satin black, all the way up to about the firewall. The gas tank is repainted and relined. I didn't have time or funds to re-chrome the rear bumper. It will probably come off in a year or so anyway.

Unfortunately very little lately. I keep buying "project" Zs, while the 240 sits in the corner being neglected. Well that'll change now that I've sold my 280ZX turbo. I plan on giving the 240 alot more attention (now my only Z!), starting with probably a new clutch and finally getting the carbon fiber front bumper installed.