IGNORED

Rear Defogger Renewal

Jetaway

It's kind of an expensive fix.... it took 7 bottles of the Permatex repair stuff at $13each. Yikes!

I wonder if Permatex would sell it by the pint or half pint instead of the little bottles. However, even at the price you paid, that's not bad for getting the defroster back on line. Enjoy having one of the few early Zs with a working grid!

Dennis

Hey Chris!

No problem!

My son and I did about 2 coats each. We shined the flashlight thru from the underside to double check the areas that needed extra coverage.

No ohmmeter. Just used a continuity tester to see if we had a connection. The continuity tester I bought at OSH for $4.99 had a light in it. It seems the better the connection, the brighter the light. We did notice that the connection (light) got much better after 12hours of drying time.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!!

db

Yet another question, if you don't mind:

What did you use to mask off the grid? Some type of tape, I assume, but that's not regular masking tape.

Chris

Hi guys! This string prompted me to finally fix our completely non functioning defrost on the 280Z. It's kind of an expensive fix.... it took 7 bottles of the Permatex repair stuff at $13each. Yikes!

All told, it's working again and clears up the window in about 5 minutes.

Everyone seems to know what this is but me. Permatex makes a thousand products, could you provide the exact name? I seem to have missed it, thanks.

Everyone seems to know what this is but me. Permatex makes a thousand products, could you provide the exact name? I seem to have missed it, thanks.

In post #3...

16 reviews - $9.77 - In stock

Permatex 15067 Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit by Permatex $11.50 .... I do a lot of board level electrical repair, but I wasn't familiar with ...

www.amazon.com › ... › Adhesives - Cached - Similar

I think that will put you in the ball park.

Thanks, don't know how many times I read right over that. Has anyone else tried this yet?

I've tried using it. I don't think I did a good job of applying it. I have a circuitwriter pen. I'm going to try that on my 260Z where the grid was pulled off in removing the tint.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up on my computer fan defogger set up. The addition of the larger fan makes it quite practical and useful for defogging. As a mild bonus, when the fans are running they produce a pleasant gentle wafting of cooler air at head level. Bi-level ventilation on the cheap!

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, just sorta been researching this lately. I have my hatch glass out and was thinking of refreshing the defroster before I put it back in since I can get to all the tabs and grids a bit better. I was thinking of using the Permatex but was wondering how much coverage it gave and then read 7 bottles :eek:

Anyways I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this stuff http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/838.html It doesn't state it as a use per-say but it does say it can be used as a conductive base in some electroplating process which I know uses current so that tells me it can take current flow. It's temperature range seems wide enough and it's only about 2 bucks more than one of those bottles of Permatex and pretty much the same price as Circuit Writer for what looks like plenty to complete the job and have a bunch left over?

Has anyone worked with this stuff on anything or do I get to be the guinea pig? Does anything scream hell no to someone with knowledge on this? Thanks guys.