IGNORED

head light question

scotts pearl

Sure it's okay, but if you have a typical S30, the issue isn't so much what type headlights you're using but how much voltage you're getting to your lights. You may want to consider installing relays into your headlight circuit.

You may see people posting about the relay kit that Dave, aka Zs-ondabrain, sells through Motorsport Auto. IIRC, it wasn't designed to fit into a 280Z. Blackdragon also sells a generic kit. I purchased one for my 260z, but I'm not installing it until after I replace the relays with standard automotive relays and weatherproof the connections.

Converting to relays will increase the voltage at the headlights and greatly improve the light output.

There should be no wiring issues if you are talking to H4 or H7 conversion. There is 3 wires and it is "plug and play". I live in Europe and H4s are mandatory. I'll double that relay conversion, it gives you more light. It's quite easy to D-I-Y (buddy of mine did it in my daily driver) and it's very cheap.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-simple.htm

Scott, I did a relay conversion on my '78. The relays fit very nicely inside the relay box where the fusible link housings are attached. The wiring dropped down into the large harness below. You wouldn't know it's there. Details are buried somewhere in this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35588&highlight=breakers

Scott,

They are a straight replacement.

I replaced the headlights on my 76 280Z with Autopal Headlights from Black Dragon. They work fine. You can upgrade the bulb too.

You still have to remove the entire highlight assembly to change the bulbs.

I would highly recommend adding a headlight harness. I got mine from Dave Irwin (Zs-ondabrain). He can make one for a 280Z...you will have to supply him with a few stock 280Z plugs. You will not be disappointed in his products!:beer:

Dave Ruiz