IGNORED

Synchromesh worn out?

FastWoman

The cold is bad enough, but the salt on the roads is the real issue.

And if you can get the type of adapter that Steve mentioned that would be a really good idea. I have removed and re-installed transmissions in my car three times already and it takes all the force that I can muster. I used a transmission jack, but the problem is that you still have to twist and pull on the transmission until you get the splines to line up on the input shaft. There is no room for error on that. They either line up perfectly, or they do not line up at all.

If you put the transmission in gear before you remove the shifter (or while it's out before you install) you can grab the output shaft and turn it to get the splines lined up, while you're pushing the main shaft lightly against the clutch disc.

It also helps to lift up on the clutch disc a little bit with the alignment tool, or just push up on it a little, in to get it perfectly centered, when you're tightening the pressure plate bolts. Otherwise it will drop just a little bit from gravity, making it just a little harder to get the main shaft end in to the pilot bushing hole. The weight of the disc just hangs on the little plastic nub of the alignment tool in the pilot bushing so if you have a weak one, or a loose fit, you can get some misalignment.

What they say about shifting is correct, weird as it sounds. I did it all the time in a 75 Vette I had, once I was shown how. Fun little trick to amaze and astound your passenger. When you get comfortable with it you can really run through the gears. :)

Bonzi Lon

last time I pulled the tranny, I just used strength and no jack. The jack gets in the way and makes it harder I think. I'm strong enough that I can pull the transmission up from over my head while laying on my back, lift it on my chest and just "bench" it up into place. Being able to have both hands on it while directly under it makes it a lot easier to line up and get that shaft to slide in. First time I did it with a jack I fought it for 30 minutes getting it angled right etc.. and eventually just gave up on the jack and muscled it into place. The transmission is light enough that if you have an extra set of hands to help lift, it shouldn't be a big issue to put into place.

I'm strong enough that I can pull the transmission up from over my head while laying on my back, lift it on my chest and just "bench" it up into place.
So am I but why do that if you really don't have to. If that works for you...fine. I'm not knocking it but I masterd the floor jack w/adapter routine years ago. It doesn't get in the way and you can adjust the trans in any direction while it's on the jack. My hands end up being the only ones I need. I've also used it for auto transes, truck transes and others much heavier than a Datsun 4/5 speed with no issues. Edited by sblake01

Well, I've never done a car transmission, but I did an R&R on our boat transmission, which probably weighs about 50 lb. I just lifted it into place. Of course working over my head would be more difficult, but if I can simply get the transmission supported somehow, I feel I should be able to align it.

How long is the spline? Is it possible to get that started before seating alignment pins?

Cool! :)

Thinking outside the box, would it be possible to put a loop of rope around the transmission, pass the ends through the hole for the shifter (i.e. in the body), and have someone lift on the transmission from inside the car while I do the positioning from below?