IGNORED

Size of starter fuseable link?

KAL7467

Well, from what I've read, it could be 21 Amps or it could be 80 Amps. I searched for an hour or two, but I couldn't find a "definitive source". (I wouldn't mind if someone posted a reference that would truly clarify this.)

On the other hand, the fusible link gauge is approximately 16AWG.

Do you need to get a replacement, or are you just looking for mischief?

By the way, I gave Shelia at Eddie's shop your cell number since she didn't get your message. I hope you don't mind.

It should be coloured and that indicates the rating.

My S30 FSM shows the link as "B" which translates to Black.

Try this for a reference: -

FUSE LINKS

If you want you can upgrade to a more convenient method of protection by using a Maxi-fuse or encapsulated fuse links: -

FUSE LINK UNITS

MAXI FUSES

Interesting, the Narva link lists that guage wire as having a 24 Amp continuous rating.

It should be coloured and that indicates the rating.

My S30 FSM shows the link as "B" which translates to Black.

Try this for a reference: -

FUSE LINKS

If you want you can upgrade to a more convenient method of protection by using a Maxi-fuse or encapsulated fuse links: -

FUSE LINK UNITS

MAXI FUSES

The fusible link wire colors on the NARVA site you linked to don't translate to Datsun's data in size, from the FSM's. And they don't translate to Atlanticz's estimates of amp ratings.

You could probably find comparable gauge but the continuous amp ratings don't match what others are using to determine size (max amps, I assume).

Courtesy Nissan has an assortment of fusible links, in standard Nissan colors - http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?chassis_id=0&keywords=fusible+link&Submit_Button=Go&cat=1

In the 74 and later FSMs, the fusible link cross-sectional area for a black link is given as 1.25 mm^2. This translates roughly as 16 AWG. Matching the gauge should get the same fusible link rating.

None of the fusible links pictured at the Courtesy site are for a 240Z. However, Banzai Motorworks and MSA both have a 240Z fusible link available.

It's not a bad idea to have one or two links handy. They can and will corrode over the years. Heck, most of us carry spare fuses in the car. Why not carry an extra link?

Anyway, for the purist, the Banzai & MSA links are probably the best. For others, the part store (Autozone, etc.) links can easily be modified. Just get the 16 AWG links. You'll just have to modify the end. Purchasing the link wire in bulk probably won't ever be cost effective.

For people replacing links with maxi-fuses, are you still comfortable with the fuse ratings given what I have managed to dig up?

Maybe when I have some extra spending money, I can set up a rig to get a better idea of blow curves on the link wire so maybe we can determine what would be a proper maxi-fuse substitute.

What's wrong with just using a direct replacement? I've noticed several owners converting the links to other types of fuses, not sure I understand why really ?

There are instances where people swap out components due to lack of availability (wiper motors), better quality components (blower motors), better engineering applications (headlight relays), cost, or convenience.

For the fusible links in the 280Z, I've read some posts from people talking about the block that holds the links have deteriorated, driving the desire to find an alternative.

For the 240Z, I have more of a problem in figuring out a good reason to move away from the fusible link. After all, there is only one. Also, given a lack of documentation on the ACTUAL ampacity of the link when I researched this, I wouldn't be confident about replacing the link with a fuse.

I have wondered about cars with a 40A to 60A Alternator upgrade with the stock link (or what I have a 60A Alt with a 40A fuse), if a dead battery would maximize current flow blowing the link VIA a 60A charge current since the link is between the battery and the Alternator?