IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

Thats a pretty tight budget. The red one I just resto-freshed last Winter cost me right around that figure as well, plus cost of the car, but I didn't paint it. I was able to buff it out. I figure I have a grand total between 7k and 8k into it. I need to add up the stuff someday...or not. ;)

Continued work on the interior. Fixing two cracks in the center console with gorilla glue and some plastic strips on the inside for strength. Used some epoxy on the outsid to fill the cracks. Will paint with the black outdoor furniture paint as discussed in the console restoration thread.

Took out the PO's Kenwood cassette player and installed my retro radio. Quite a chore to put this guy in. Was able to install the radio without completely disassembling the heater control panel. I did, however, undo all four panel screws and pulled it out about an inch. By removing the fuse box and lower U channel that support the console, I was able to squeeze it in. Looks great and powers up nicely.

:cool:

Now back to the console. Hopefully I can get that in this week.

post-19125-14150813574521_thumb.jpg

You can buy nylon "stockings" for the hoses that looks half way decent. I use it on most of my hoses when I build. It comes in colors but of course black is what you want. It's a bit glossy but if you hit it with a little bit of flat black after you slip it over the hoses, it looks pretty good.

Here you can see it on my heater hose in its original gloss.

404108571_dydRr-XL.jpg

I think I bought a generic braiding kit from Summit but I don't see it listed anymore. Here is another source http://www.electricalhub.com/braided-sleeving?gclid=CIDTrvOTz6YCFQY65QodXV6cIw

OH, is that a BRE remote oil filter I see. VERY nice.

Washed the Z as it had about 3 months worth of dust on it and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. The car is very smooth and quiet. I am surprised that the original mufflers are still working well. Shocks are not bad either. The ride and noise (fairly quiet) are about the same as the '70. I am very happy with the ride.

Turned on the radio, ran the antenna up and I got music-YES! :bunny: I really am not sure what year car the stereo came out of but it has FM stereo. The word 'stereo' lights up in red when I am getting and FM stereo station. Very cool.

Took one photo outside in the sun. Will send the Pic to Hagerty's along with a motor pic for insurance documentation.

post-19125-14150813656071_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally popped for the braided hose. Also zinced some of the clamps that grnsky got for me and installed those as well. I am still a few clamps short but will pick those up soon.

I love the original wire clamps but they are a bit tricky to install. You really have to torque down on them to get them to seal. After replacing most of the clamps, I started the car up and had 3 leaks :stupid:. Pretty bad. All I needed to do was tighten them tighter to stop the leaks, but still, was questioning my mechanic ability with that results.

Cost of the hoses was $160 (yikes), but they sure look nice. Total cost of the refreshtoration now stands at $5705.

post-19125-14150814236692_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1415081423731_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I’ve been driving the Silver Z to work the last couple days since the Yellow Z is getting the seats re-covered. After a couple days of adjusting, I have the flat-tops running pretty sweet. Initially I was too lean (I’m always shooting for the best gas mileage) and the car was hesitant off the line and under hard acceleration . Opened up the big ‘Playskool’ screw on the left of the front carb about a ¼ turn CCW and that did the trick. Car is running very sweet and every bit as good as the SU’s on my other Z’s. I still don’t think all the bad rap these carbs take is warranted. And, yes I’ve driven the last couple days in terrible I-5 traffic and hot weather. No vapor lock issues. No problems starting after stop.

Still need to get the electric fuel pump near the tank operational. The pump works great, but for some reason no 12V power getting to it. Will look for the open in the next couple weeks. For now the electric pump is by-passed.

Thread update - Bruce at Z therapy might enjoy this: Since I've been driving the Silver Z a little bit more (getting seats re-done on Yellow Z), I decided to do a little toying around with the flat-tops. I balanced the choke cables, replaced the 38 year old balance(?) hose that was starting to go bad (that is a critical item for all flat tops owners), and put in some SM needles. Also removed the belt from the smog pump and corked the air galley so exhaust doesn't go back into the pump. What a difference. The car drives SWEET and perfect even when (California) cold. No coughs, no backfires. Good as new SU's any day. How's that saying go....once you go flat, you never go back....Just harassing the Flat-top haters. I'm a believer.:cool:

Rich

Rich, glad you got them going good and back on the engine. The flat tops I had worked fine for the first 2 1/2 years, then slipped into unadjustment which no one wanted to figure out. Easier for them to swap at the time, 1980.

Flat is Back! :)

Bonzi Lon

Motorman7,

Just finished reading this entire thread over my morning coffee. Having done a musclecar restomod project myself (1969 Firebird) I have a keen appreciation for the time, labor and expense involved in bringing a car to this level. You have simply done an outstanding job with superb attention to detail. As far as the overall cost, you have kept it very reasonable considering the finished product. An inspiration to all.

Thanks for sharing......