IGNORED

Early 240Z gas tank ?

oldhemi

Thanks MikeB and Geezer for the pics link and the diagram! That's my tank! Ron, the diagram clears up my question about where the big, top nipple hooks up - the filler pipe!

Raining too hard and too dark in the house for my recalcitrant camera to work. My stamp on the top of the tank does not look like the same style and I have a sticker w/part on the side.

The tank is resting comfortably on a old - but clean - towel in the parlor along with the 2 CB750's, 260Z seats and whatever else I can fit that I do not want exposed to Houston Humidity!

My wife is great about using that room as an "inside shed". The dining room is being used to cure several hundred board feet of rough sawn oak. She is not too happy with that because of the smell. I wont do that again, I'll hire a couple of kids and have them haul it to the attic.

It helps to have a 4400' house with only 1 old fart and a gracious older woman as occupants.

Kathy & Rick, I wont be going to ZCON, but I will be in Bristol/Southington/Newington Connecticut for a few days in a few weeks. I would love to see your Z's - even if they aint 260's! Lemme know if that's a possibility!

• 4 weeks later...
My parts catalogs and microfiche are out on loan, so I can't check the tank part number right now, but certainly would be interested in buying it from you if you do decide to sell it. The evaporator tanks were not a requirement in Canada in 1970. I have also been keeping an eye out for one of those front fiberglass valance panels you mentioned in the other thread. If there is a chance of the seller parting with it shoot me a PM.

Ron: If the evaporator tank was not required in Canada in 1970, does that mean most or all of the cars that came to Canada in the first 5-6-7 months of 1970 did not have the tank?

Dan

Ron: If the evaporator tank was not required in Canada in 1970, does that mean most or all of the cars that came to Canada in the first 5-6-7 months of 1970 did not have the tank?

Dan

Yes, as far as I know all vehicles that were originally built with the model designation (HLS30UN) destined for Canada did not have the reservoir tank for 1970. It became a federally mandated regulation for the 1971 model year in Canada when the cars were registered. This served to tighten up what could be considered a '70 or a '71 in Canada. All the parts books for 1970 recognize the difference.

Edited by geezer

That makes sense for my car HLS30-06513, as it has a single pulley, no air pump, non emissions balance tube, no tubes in the manifold, no evap tank, and no extra hose connections on the tank, too many things for it to be a modification by a PO

That makes sense for my car HLS30-06513, as it has a single pulley, no air pump, non emissions balance tube, no tubes in the manifold, no evap tank, and no extra hose connections on the tank, too many things for it to be a modification by a PO

If originally stock equipt there are quite a few differences. They are listed in an old thread here somewhere. The alternator had a higher output rating (to cope with extreem cold), I think possibly the battery was likewise different and I can't remember offhand all the other differences. I have run across some obscure differences looking through parts catalogs.

Dan

Yes, as far as I know all vehicles that were originally built with the model designation (HLS30UN) destined for Canada did not have the reservoir tank for 1970. It became a federally mandated regulation for the 1971 model year in Canada when the cars were registered. This served to tighten up what could be considered a '70 or a '71 in Canada. All the parts books for 1970 recognize the difference.

Dan and Ron,

According to Service Bulletin 125 (Introduction of Datsun 240Z Sports Model S30 Series), Ontario received the HLS30U model, which had the crankcase and exhaust emissions control devices, but not the evaporative emissions equipment (no expansion tank, different fuel tank, etc.). This is the same model as the low VIN cars in the US. The rest of Canada got the HLS30UN, which didn't have any of the emissions equipment. Later 1970 model US cars were the HLS30UV model with all of the emissions equipment, including the evaporative emissions equipment.

-Mike

post-9102-14150811820716_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure Unkle will try to pin that on US territorial expansion plans, but the Service Bulletin was printed in Japan. Honest! ;)

-Mike

Heh Heh :) Nah , you guys down South look like y'all will be tied up for a spell in the Middle East right now and into the future..... although the Great State of B.C. has tons of power + water for the highest bidder ...... hmmm.