IGNORED

Help please! problem while changing water pump

72zeta

[well i know im a little stupid just by having a 72 z as my daily driver but that just how much i like my car and thats also why im stuck right now

well im changing my water pump right now since yesterday night i noticed that there was some coolant leaking from under it so right after i took everything apart and got to remove the old water pump i noticed this

post-21586-14150811476513_thumb.jpg

post-21586-14150811477325_thumb.jpg

post-21586-14150811477917_thumb.jpg

so if you noticed there's a chipped area where the water pump goes so i dont know if this will cause any problem if i put everything back togheter with the new pump or if there is a way to fix this with out having to replaced the whole thing please HELP like i said is my daily driver and is the only car i have :(

I don't think that will cause any problems functionally but I'd be afraid that more could break loose and have pieces rattling around inside the water pump area. If it were me, I'd find another front cover.

thanks for your response i do have and spare not running 280z that i got 3 weeks ago just for parts i guess this will be the first part that im gonna be removing from the 280 thankz again...

Just be glad you didn't order a new water pump from MSA a month ago like I did. After waiting three weeks, I called to check the status and was told the order was on hold because they are out of stock on the water pump bolts I also ordered. Of course no one ever called to let me know that. I told them to ship the order without the bolts. After waiting another week, I called back yesterday, and was on hold for 10 minutes then promptly hung up on at 5pm. Guess it was quittin' time. After I called back today, they told me the pump still hadn't been shipped. Looks like I won't get it until next week now (assuming they really did ship it today).

-Mike

well MSA is 5 minutes from where i live and i did pick up a new water pump from them today at noon they did have it in stock but they dont have the bolts

so i dont know why they have not send you yours

Now I remember, it's JB WELD. used to repair Blocks, exhaust, metal parts, etc. It's made for tough environments, like heat, fuel, oil, water, etc.

By the way, if you replace the front cover, Be carefull when removing the front cover. Pull the oil pan bolts, 2) 10mm on the front head lip and all the others. Razor blade the head gasket away from the front cover so as to not damage it.

I Use Ultra Black gasket /seal maker. use a little extra on the upper inner corner where the head, block, and front cover meet.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

will do and thank you for the tip Dave, i already called some of my friends and i got one of them to let me use one of his cars for this week so i guess the front cover will be my weekend proyect (i hope to get it done this weekend) well thankz to everyone again for your help and i hope you get your water pump soon Mike

Emmanuel

If you repair with JBWeld, definitely try to 'mushroom' it on both sides of the fix as Dave recommends.

It's great, durable stuff, but it never hurts to add a little bit of insurance to the fix.

Not enough to impede the flow of coolant, just enough to lock it in.