IGNORED

240Z at Sam's Club

Even when you do not have a Z anymore, you still keep an eye out for them. Yesterday I was in Sam's Club and saw this die cast Maistro. Of course I had to buy it for $11.88.

post-4058-14150811455937_thumb.jpg

I bought a 1:18 collectable just the other day on eBay. It's on the fireplace mantle. I was thinking of getting another for my office. Funny, the box says "300ZX Turbo". I wonder what's in the 240Z box; an RX-7?

What is the scale/size of that one (given that they got the car wrong, the scale might be wrong too)? Where there other colors?

Edited by Gary in NJ

I've also seen the Maisto 240Z in orange w/slot mags instead of hubcaps. Does yours have California plates on it (755 DAR)?

Edited by sblake01

The Yellow 240Z is 1/18th scale and the 300ZX is 1/24th scale.

Definately gonna keep my eye out for those at the local Wal-Mart.

At $12 each, I'm in for 3. I'll repaint one to model after my 70'. Then do the Bright Orange to model it after the 260Z build that I hope to finish this year (if the green Z sells) then one to keep "As Is".

Dave

I've also seen the Maisto 240Z in orange w/slot mags instead of hubcaps. Does yours have California plates on it (755 DAR)?

Same California plate, 755DAR. The base plate says it is a 1971 Datsun 240Z.

The 300ZX is a Tamiya model kit I brought back from Hong Kong last month.

Something else I picked up in Hong Kong, a 1/58 scale Remote Control 240ZG. It even has working headlights.

post-4058-1415081146437_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

FYI

Stopped at Costco in Grafton, Wisconsin tonight. They had at least 6 of the 1971 240Z collectibles in their Christmas season gifts area. Yellow and Orange colors. Both had California plates 755DAR and hubcaps, boxes were marked correctly. Same Maistro packaging and look as shown in Nota280's post from July from Sam's Club. I bought one of the Orange ones :D for $11.88 at Costco.

I got two...on ebay. So I over paid, but I can't seem to find them in my local Walmart. I'll keep looking.

I have an orange one at work. It's off the stand. Everyone that comes into my office picks it up and marvels what a great looking car the 240 is. I predict that the model wont have the antenna and wipes by the end of the year.

Here's a little background on the 'donor' car.

Very interesting article. Thanks, Motorman.

The article states that "They (Maistro) wanted to make sure they got the shapes and details right. It needed to be an unmodified car in very good to excellent condition." From the picture shown in the article, the car really didn't fit the description that they were looking for. It is slightly modified with the aftermarket side moldings, aftermarket wheels, front grill guard (and I would assume that it also has guard attached to its rear bumper as well). I realize that all of these items were "dealer optioned" at the time and the wheels are the classic slotted mags that are considered by a lot of us as "almost stock" and probably the single most forgiven aftermarket item on a 240Z. Thankfully, the finished die cast toy does closely represent what a '71 240Z looked like when it left the factory (if you ignore the bottom side of the toy). Don't get me wrong, it's not even close to the Franklin Mint version, but it looks pretty good for an inexpensive version. I just thought that there had to be a better model available to work from that was more stock. Just my 2 cents.