IGNORED

ZCar Sales!! What's it really worth?

Zs-ondabrain

So I've noticed a lot of Z cars on the sales block, on the newly set up DatsunClassifieds and have also noticed prices ranging from under $1000 to upwards of $30,000. I'm a simple guy who wants the most I can get for my hard earned money. So besides the fact and general opinion that "Your Z is worth what You think it's worth", How do I determine what my Early 72' Green 240Z is worth?

I obviously plan on selling it to help pay for the finishing of the 260Z project and free up some room here at the house. So please read the following and tell me what you'd Honestly pay for this particular 240Z. Thanks in advance.

1972 (12/71') 240Z - HLS30-53007

113 Green Metalic (resprayed years ago) Possibly a Macco Job

Great L24 with 142,000 (was in an Automatic tranny 240Z w/ stacks of paperwork for tuneups, oil changes and service by the original owner.

*Great 4-speed Tranny

*NEW 2.5" Exhaust with New turbo Muffler and chrome tip with 3-into-2 header

*New front Calipers w/ new pads on freshly turned rotors & repacked bearings.

*Rebuilt rear wheel cylinders, new brake shoes and freshly turned drums

14x6 Slotted aluminum wheels (bean style slots) with used tires (85% tread)

*NEW Tokico HP Stuts

*NEW Eibach Progressive Rate Lowering Springs w/ New Urethane Bump stops

*Xenon Urethane Air Dam w/ brake cooling Ducts

*Daves Headlight Upgrade Harness (HLH)

*Daves Parking Light Upgrade Harness (PLH)

*Daves ZX adaptor plug w/ Subaru 60 amp IR Alternator (ZXP)

*AutoPal H4 Conversion Headlights with 90/100 bulbs w/ anti-vibration pads

*280ZX E1280 Elec. Distributor w/ MSD Blaster 2 Coil & NGK wires & plugs

*High Milage Oil and WIX filter

*Honda Blower Motor conversion w/ rebuilt & painted blower housing and foam

*Sidemarker Conversion to make the front sidemarkers blink like in Europe

New Battery and Cables

ReUpholstered Seat bottoms (SEATZ) on 280Z reclining seats with good seat backs.

New Rubber on Doors & inner and 1-piece outer hatch (MSA reproduction)

New 5-Piece Carpet Kit from MSA (Black Loop style)

New MSA Headlight Covers (clear 3-screw allen style)

New inner shift boot (rubber)

Hand made outer shift boot (I made it myself)

New Pioneer AM/FM/CD player

New Pioneer 5-1/4" 2-way speakers in stock rear location

New 4x6" 2 way speakers in custom panels in the front kick panel area.

New Harada? Power Antenna (fully Automatic)

FatMat sound deadener from firewall to rear riser

Original Dash with 2 cracks and original steering wheel.

The Whole car was "TUFF KOTE DINOL" coated at some point It's a spray on Tar Barrier that prevents air and moisture from rusting panels. The Sticker is still in the back window and TCD yellow body plugs are present throughout the car (Hatch, rear quarters, doors, doglegs, front fenders, underside of hood, etc, etc.

Very Minimal rust on floors was stopped and repaired using Rust Mort (SEM)

Frame rails are good

Light denting on a few panels due to Previous owners and rude parking lots.

Roof is dented, car sat for 15 years so who knows what happened.

Hood has a front dent and scratches. Missing the "240Z" badge off the hatch

ETC, ETC...... I could go on but you get the idea. It's a GREAT Daily Driver that handles well, goes great and stops even better. Very easy to start in the cold as it's well tuned and dialed in. Just took it on a trip (500 mile round trip) to Oregon "Canby" and it got about 25MPG and drove beautifully and flawlessly.

So knowing what it has, and what it needs, what would you say it's worth or "What would you pay?" for this particular 240Z?

Thanks for all your input, just looking for some input as I don't usually sell my Z's

Dave

post-4921-1415081132128_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811321724_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811322148_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811322574_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811323012_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811323513_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811323953_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811324382_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415081132498_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150811325656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

I say it's worth $500. I can be there in less then 24 hours to bring it home :)

IMO, new this and replacement that doesn't add to the value of a car much. Overall condition, and the amount of effort to get the car correct, is what I am willing to pay a premium. Some things that you find indispensable or an upgrade, such as the electronic ignition, would detract from the value for me because I like using my dwell meter. I prefer "period correct" modifications.

You have a good 240 there. If there are many for sale in your area (200 miles) in that condition, I'd venture to guess it's worth $5,000-ish. If the car is rare or hard to find (like here on the east coast) I think you could get more like $7,500. Tough to really tell from a few pictures.

In the end, a 40 year old car is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Dave, knowing our market here in the PacNW, and having seen the car in person, I'd call it a solid $4000 car. Maybe a bit more if you got really lucky, but probably not. Or maybe $3500 for a quicker sale.

That's Kinda what I was thinking too Arne. All I'm looking for is a good solid number to start with.

There's well over $2000 in New parts and I haven't even Mentioned how much it would have cost in LABOR to instal everything that I've put into the car, myself. I think I deserve a little of the labor costs to bring this car back from the dead, as it were.

I was already thinking $3500 to $4500 so you kinda matched wits with me on this one.

Anyone else? Please?

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Just to add my 2cents...there is another market out there that aren't looking for numbers matching or "period correct" or unmodified cars. Some of the things that you've done are things that I would be happy to find already done on a 240z.

You'd be lucky to find a car in that condition in this area for $4000.

What Gary said last is the truest statement:

"In the end, a 40 year old car is worth what someone is will to pay." And that pretty much applies to any car.

The dents would be the only drawbacks for me. Good luck.

All true. I could go out and find a real good hood, maybe even get REAL lucky and find one with a decent or great 113 Green metalic paint job on it. Or even find a great hood and paint it a low gloss black. But If I do that, the price goes up. That's my money, parts and labor. But someone can save money and do it themselves. That's the whole idea.

If I put on a new or better hood, fix all the dents, paint the car, etc, etc. It's gonna be an $8000 car when I'm done. So instead, I sell it "AS IS" and somebody gets and AWESOME starter that only needs minor body work and paint. So I'll go ahead with the $4000 price tag. Anyone interested?

Dave

A dent free hood, some dolly work on the roof and a few other panels, then some paint, would likely raise the value, in my mind, no less than 2 to 3 grand more. I say this because The electrical system, the motor, the tranny, suspension and interior are now awesome. Paint and body work is all it needs to be a Z that I would not likely get rid of for a very long time.

So an easy 6 to $7000 after the fact.