IGNORED

Door Window Squeegee

tlorber

I was thinking of using weather strip adhesive in addition to the clips at least to hold it firm to the SS piece. I am also thinking of putting a long strip of material between the stiffener and SS as a spacer to change the angle a tad.

perhaps one day I will get the ones from BD but I have read mixed reviews on those also. Yes it would be nice if someone had a picture of them.

Edited by grantf

So I pretty much did what grantf suggested but went one step further. For the spacer I used a piece of old bicycle inner tube. I did use weather strip adhesive both to hold the inner tube to the squeegee and to act as a water seal between the squeegee and the trim piece. Finally, I decided I didn't think the supplied clips were going to keep it even enough, so I used staples.

My steps:

1) I narrowed the side of the squeegee that mounts to the trim. I don't think you really need to do this, but it made using the clips a bit easier.

2) I used weather strip adhesive to glue the inner tube to the squeegee.

3) I used weather strip adhesive to try and seal the joint between the squeegee and the trim piece.

4) I used the supplied clips to hold the squeegee in place while I inserted the staples.

5) I made a little template/fixture with holes spaced to match my staple width.

(staples were for a T50 stapler and are 3/8" long)

6) I used a backing piece of wood and carefully drilled the holes using my template. I was especially careful not to drill through the outside of the trim piece which would ruin your day!

7) I inserted the staples and used a needle nose pliers to both compress the inner tube/squeegee "sandwich" and start bending over the staple.

8) Repeated the process on both ends of the staple and then bent the legs flush against the trim piece.

You can see the added rubber piece in the first picture as well as the template.

The second picture shows the wood backing plate. Drill carefully!

The third shows the staple before squeezing it.

The fourth shows a couple of staples after squeezing them.

post-15811-14150818775359_thumb.jpg

post-15811-14150818776018_thumb.jpg

post-15811-14150818776767_thumb.jpg

post-15811-14150818774588_thumb.jpg

That is exactly were I was thinking of putting the spacer strip. I had not thought up a material yet. So the rubber you used was to change the angle not move the squeegee out from the SS, correct?

I sort of like the clips but as cygnus said more would be nice. I wonder where I might find more someplace.

Edited by grantf

I just used the rubber to move the squeegee out. It didn't change the angle unless you are comparing it to the way Dave mounted his with the little lip over the top of the trim. I put the rubber in to move the squeegee closer to the window while keeping the natural angle of the new squeegee.

• 5 years later...