IGNORED

Door Window Squeegee

tlorber

I swear, I did search but found nothing recent that appears applicable.

Has anyone found a suitable replacement RUBBER piece that attaches to the stainless strip on the outside of the door to seal the windows? My stainless strips are in good condition and I'd rather not pay $80.00 per side just for some new rubber. I know it has been discussed in the past, but has anyone here recently dealt with this?

Thanks.

I bought the squeegees from Too Intense Restorations for $47 +ship.

The leg that attaches is too tall for a stock 71 240Z stainless strip. I had to cut them down to make them fit. Also, the curved piece that wipes the window is shorter than the original.

It works but you need to modify.

I wouldn't recommend them.

I've gotten replies to my thread that the MSA rubber is an exact fit, coming in OEM Nissan bags.

Edited by mlc240z

OK, sorry to flog this horse here but as I've tried to locate the squeegee, it has become apparant that either 1)people are not satisfied with existing profiles that are available 2) you (I) can't get calls back from suppliers, and 3) I just can't stomach spending nearly $200.00 for a part that MIGHT fit my car when all I need is some stinkin' rubber seals.

Therefore my question is: how much demand would there be if I were able to have the window squeegees made? It sounds like the setup and run would be a couple thousand dollars, but I'd be willing to do it if I could amoritize the cost over enough sets. Let's say the final cost would be $30.00-$40.00 for the pair. These could be made from a more modern material (some type of neoprene rather than rubber) which would hold up to UV light better, and would stay pliable longer than rubber. I would use the existing rubber pieces I have to reverse engineer a die for the extrusion.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by tlorber

Why not check what DOES exist before you re-invent the wheel?

McMaster-Carr, Graingers, are but two re-sellers of extruded products. You may even find the exact profile or so close to exact that it's function is identical.

FWIW

E

I've checked JC Whitney and haven't found it there either. I've checked the other suppliers and their applications appear nowhere close to what we have. For example, one of the sites only handles vintage american aftermarket parts. Most squeegees, like the Datsun Roadster either slip over a groove or into a track.

I guess my question is not so much on the supply side as the demand side. Is this just not a big enough issue for people to worry about replacing, or does everyone just drop the 2 bills and get on with it? If that were the only seal to replace I could live with it, but by the time you spend $200 here and $380 there on stuff that doesn't even enhance performance, it seems there has to be a more cost effective way.

• 1 year later...

Is there a picture anywhere that is a closeup of the rubber and the metal molding and how they are put together? Both ends have a flat spot of metal, could that be drilled and a rod mounted all the way through (not sure it would help)? I have heard drilling stainless is a challenge. One of my squeegees does not contact the window at all; it appears to be too short.