IGNORED

Removing oil pan

kjphilippona

Please, Can somebody tell me if the oil pan can be removed without lifting the engine? I have all the bolts loose and pan will not slide out freely without making contact with transmission housing or binding against the steering control arm. Thanks for your help.

I just did this procedure yesterday to replace my oil pan gasket.

I took out the two bolts for the motor mount by the oil filter. Put a jack under the mount and raised it about 1 inch. Slid a 3/4 inch board in the 1 inch gap then lowered the mount back down and removed the jack so it wasn't in my way. Undid the bolts and the pan dropped right off, no problem.

This was actually pretty easy. You may need to remove the air filter cover so it doesnt contact the hose junction on the drivers side fender.

Also helps to get #1 piston at TDC so the crankshaft is not in the way at the front of the pan. At least on my 240, I could get the pan out without lifting the engine off the mounts, but takes some wiggling around. Not sure on a 280.