IGNORED

Fumes!

blakt out

I have the Arizona Z Car camber plates, front and rear. Thing is, you can look down at the road below through the open hole. I know these are really for the track, but I have my car built for the street. It's loud, and it lets fumes inside that make my lips go numb. Any ideas as to what I can do? Here's a pic.

IMG_0557.jpg

Welcome to "Brick Aerodynamics 101" Bricks aren't Aero anything, and neither is a Z. Sure, they're lightweight and HP is easy to add (Mind you, I didn't say Cheap) but that HP is needed to move the brick thru the wind. And that's why the fumes are a problem on 75% of our Z's.

I would personally make some aluminum covers with rubber seals, to cover the Strut tops. Obviously, the stock caps won't clip in place anymore but maybe you can figure something out with them.

Still love the car, Awesome job. Still can't believe I made the mistake of $6000 over 6 figures. Don't think I had my coffee yet that day.

Dave

Duct tape.

:) Kidding of course. There are many outstanding z cars featured on this forum, and yours is my new favourite. I love the mods with the stock interior. Congrats on owning one of the coolest custom 240z's on the planet.

I agree with Dave's suggestion of metal cap with a rubber gasket. With a little ingenuity I'm sure the stock rear strut caps can be worked in to cover up the new seals. Maybe with a little double sided duct tape. ;) As a stop gap, if the fumes are unbearable, I'd be tempted to try rolling up some plumbers putty, fashioning a ring under the stock plastic cap and pressing it firmly in place. To my thinking, such a band aid would be completely reversible, and should stop the fumes. Just a thought.

Good luck you lucky bastard.

Envious in Canada

Ha! So funny (on the lucky bastard part... THANKS!)

Here's what we're trying to do right now, as in RIGHT NOW. There's a little hole in the center of the plastic cap. We're going to drill an ever-so-small hole into the top of the strut (just where it's threaded) and then thread that hole. We'll then put a washer on the underside of the center of the plastic cap. We will then mill off the teeth on the bottom of the cap (since they don't work at all on this setup anyway) so that the cap will sit snug onto the padding/vinyl. We'll put a little screw in through the top and screw it down onto the top of the strut. Once this is done and it works, we'll go back and make a rubber gasket to go around the botto of the cap. I might also insulate the underside of the cap too.

We're in-process right now. Sound like it will work?

Sounds good to me. Wasn't sure to what extent you wanted to go. But tapping the bolt top of the strut should be fine. You're filling the hole with a bolt so itshouldn't be weak afterwards.

Stock caps keep it looking stock and the screw will keep it snug. The rubber seal you instal afterwards will keep you fume free, until you discover the next leak. LOL

Dave