IGNORED

Any paint questions let me know

boomboom55

I have a question. One wing of my molded in spoiler had cracks.

02-19-10_016-t.jpg

I noticed rust stains. After probing around I decided to remove the piece.

02-19-10_017-t.jpg

There was fairly heavy rust underneath but it was confined to a small area.

02-21-10_002-t.jpg

I removed all filler and paint until I found where the rust ended. I removed the rust and treated the area.

03-01-10_002-t.jpg

What is a good way to reattach the piece?

newZ_008med-t.jpg

Edited by Mikez73

Just a reminder, folks. We have several current and/or retired body/paint professionals as members here, as well as many very talented and experienced amateurs. I would recommend that those with questions not address them to any one person, but simply post them here and let them all chime in as appropriate.

Arne, some people on this site are easier to deal with than others and offer help in a way that doesn't leave you feeling like an arse, so I think it's okay for a friendly guy to make contacts as a new source for advice. There's a reason that I only email certain people on this forum for advice and that is because I respect their good attitude and advice and mostly their patience. I've seen several questions on this site get anwered with less than enough patience or satisfaction and am glad to have made another contact for personal, friendly, patient advice. I think it's safe to say that no one who matters feels "left out" by BoomBoom's offer to help.

Arne, some people on this site are easier to deal with than others and offer help in a way that doesn't leave you feeling like an arse, so I think it's okay for a friendly guy to make contacts as a new source for advice. There's a reason that I only email certain people on this forum for advice and that is because I respect their good attitude and advice and mostly their patience. I've seen several questions on this site get anwered with less than enough patience or satisfaction and am glad to have made another contact for personal, friendly, patient advice. I think it's safe to say that no one who matters feels "left out" by BoomBoom's offer to help.
I have no problems with new members here offering help on any given topic. But there were/are several things about this one that I didn't care for.
I you have any paint question mabe I can answer for you.
This line (and the thread title) could tend to give the impression (to new members) that the poster might be approved or sanctioned by the club. Which is, of course, not true. Doesn't mean he may not be able to offer good advice, but he should offer it freely, not ask for questions.
I used to work for a paint company (I can't tell the name)...
Frankly, this doesn't inspire confidence. If you don't work there any longer, what's there to hide?
I might save you time and money on your project.
This one almost sounds like a solicitation, looking for work. Probably not, but it does have that sound.

In total, I felt I needed to post my comment. No way I intended to run him off, and I do regret that result, if true. If he returns and freely offers his advice where appropriate, I support that fully.

The reason I don't work for the paint company is I am dissabled, I am bad diabetic and I had to retire on Social Security dissability,I couldn't do the work even if I wanted.When I started doing body work and paint an older body man done what I was trying do he helped me more than what I got out of Fisher body school.I was just trying to help.

I'm cool with all of that, Randy. Please feel free to offer your thoughts when body/paint questions are posted.

Very pleased to see that my possibly over-cautious response above did not totally chase you away. Thanks for giving the site another try.

I am very glad you decided to stay as well boomboom. I often have paint and body questions, as I am more of a mechanic than a artist. The admins job is not one I would cherish. The standard of posts on this z site is the highest I have ever seen. They are just cautious to keep it that way.

Welcome boomboom. I will probably be posting soon when I try to strip down and get my rear hatch resprayed.

3m,sems,and fusor all have good 2 part adhesive.They all take a applicator and are very expensive.Napa has 2 part epoxy that will work just fine.Sorry if I did something wrong trying to help.I am leaving this sight.Thanks

Glad you decided to stick around. Ok back to my question...NAPA and every other parts house sell several 2 part epoxies. Was there a particular type or brand you had in mind?

I'm familiar with the 3M Automix. I read that most shops are using this now in a lot of jobs where they use to use welding. Great stuff but the epoxy and applicator are so expensive I'd be wasting a lot of money for the small amount needed for my project.

Now when I fill in the repair do I need flex filler because of the wing material. I believe it's fiberglass but it could be urethane.

Any exterior epoxy will work, the spoiler being bonded on the car I would use fiberglass for filler then use body filler to finish before primer,If you had a friend with a body shop,they keep bonding agent in there guns allready open.It just takes just a little they probably wouldn't charge much to let you glue it.