IGNORED

76 280z brakes system problem

rzkas

76 280z

Hi? i jacked up the car and i checked the wheels. This is what i found out. left rear wheel spins ok and right front wheel spins OK. left front and right rear wheels doesn't spin. Due to the above problem i can't even push the car when it in neutral gear.

I checked my brake cylinder, the one that attach to the brake booster. i saw the fluid in the cylinder holes (two holes) is thick as a grease.

How should i go about to fix these problem

thanks

Edited by rzkas

Your back drum has its linings too tight against the drum. The emergency brake lever is the factory method for adjusting the linings via a small shaft attached to the brake cylinder. Search here, zsondabrain posted a picture of the innards which was very helpful for me to free up my drums.

The front caliper is stuck. You can weasel out the pads and that will free that wheel up.

It a appears that your car has been sitting for awhile for the brake fluid to be that thick in the M/C. Your e-brakes cables *could* be frozen by rust also.

I feel your pain because I just went through EXACTLY what you are experiencing recently. I freed up the car so that I could roll it around.

I am going to do a near complete replacement/rebuild on ALL of the brake components. Rear cylinders, front calipers, master cylinder, rubber hoses, shoes and pads. I will probably replace the hard lines from the master cylinder to the prop. block due to the thick brake fluid possibly gunking up those lines at the least. (I have had this experience on several cars in the past including a daily driver minivan!)

As far as I know based on my research, your 280Z has the same exact brake components as my early 260Z. 77-78's have some different parts as do some of the early 240Z's. There is a wealth of info on THIS board on fixing your problems. Other boards are good, but the guys on this board have the stock components covered better, IMHO.

Get on Rockauto.com and do a shopping basket for the parts. This will give you a list of parts AND different manufacturers/distributors to choose from, some parts that you would not even think of and an idea of whats available and prices. I aint saying that you should buy all of the parts from them. I have had great luck with prices and speedy deliver on my other car parts from them. I have found that some manufacturers have wrong year parts listed in their catalogs and parts places just forward those erroneous parts onto you. Rockauto is no different. I am going with Beck Arnley on some parts because I feel - maybe wrong on this - that their stuff is more correct as far as fitment and performance. They tend to be a little higher and I only consider them when I see postings from members about other brands being wrong. Of course if their prices are close enough, I consider them also. You might want to think about a local parts house for the convenience factor.

Good luck.

Edited by oldhemi

Your back drum has its linings too tight against the drum. The emergency brake lever is the factory method for adjusting the linings via a small shaft attached to the brake cylinder. Search here, zsondabrain posted a picture of the innards which was very helpful for me to free up my drums.

The front caliper is stuck. You can weasel out the pads and that will free that wheel up.

It a appears that your car has been sitting for awhile for the brake fluid to be that thick in the M/C. Your e-brakes cables *could* be frozen by rust also.

I feel your pain because I just went through EXACTLY what you are experiencing recently. I freed up the car so that I could roll it around.

I am going to do a near complete replacement/rebuild on ALL of the brake components. Rear cylinders, front calipers, master cylinder, rubber hoses, shoes and pads. I will probably replace the hard lines from the master cylinder to the prop. block due to the thick brake fluid possibly gunking up those lines at the least. (I have had this experience on several cars in the past including a daily driver minivan!)

As far as I know based on my research, your 280Z has the same exact brake components as my early 260Z. 77-78's have some different parts as do some of the early 240Z's. There is a wealth of info on THIS board on fixing your problems. Other boards are good, but the guys on this board have the stock components covered better, IMHO.

Get on Rockauto.com and do a shopping basket for the parts. This will give you a list of parts AND different manufacturers/distributors to choose from, some parts that you would not even think of and an idea of whats available and prices. I aint saying that you should buy all of the parts from them. I have had great luck with prices and speedy deliver on my other car parts from them. I have found that some manufacturers have wrong year parts listed in their catalogs and parts places just forward those erroneous parts onto you. Rockauto is no different. I am going with Beck Arnley on some parts because I feel - maybe wrong on this - that their stuff is more correct as far as fitment and performance. They tend to be a little higher and I only consider them when I see postings from members about other brands being wrong. Of course if their prices are close enough, I consider them also. You might want to think about a local parts house for the convenience factor.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for great info. this problem is heart breaking.

Rzkas, I appreciate the feedback. Here is a link to the post with a picture that Dave put out here for reference. Also, search on drum or drum removal etc. There are more threads out here.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36332&highlight=drum+brakes

I had to enlarge the hole in the drum to get 2 small tools in one side. The other side was a piece of cake because I had removed the adjuster 27 years ago as a "temporary fix" to get me home when it locked my rear drum up.

Taking the rear drum off after you have loosened the linings can be a real "heart breaking" affair. Check out the pic in this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38086&highlight=drum+brakes

Edited by oldhemi