IGNORED

wheel help

Oregon260z

I got ready to remove my rims and there is some kind of locking lug and I have no tool for it . The lug has like grooves cut out on the lug. I need a way to get it off so I can remove my rims I cant drive the car to a tire shop because the motor and trans are removed but my new rims are coming .:angry: Any help or ideas would be great.

If you had the code you can get a new key, but if your on this site asking a doubt you do.

If you get a strap wrench on one that isn't tight maybe you can get one off. If you can get one to a tire shop they can find the key for that lock.

If the grooves are on the side the top of the nut is not all that hard so you could cut them with a nut cutter and peal it off. Could cut a notch in the center and use a screw driver or something like a screw driver to twist them off.

Separate the suspension and bring the hub, assembly and tire to the shop, this might look funny but hey it would work.

If you don't care to save the current rims, weld a normal lug nut on the end of the lock nut. Arc welding is better for this than gas.

You can also try to select an appropriate sized (but expendable) 12 point socket and drive it over the lock nut with a hammer. Try to get it driven on quite snug, but beware that you will quite likely break the socket.

Edited by Arne

You could if you don't mind risking damaging the rim, snap the stud. Put a long pipe or a socket with a large cheater bar and pull it will snap, then replace the stud. If you do this on that rim take all the other lug nuts to where they are nearly off that way you will put the most stress on the one you plan to break.

They are the acorn style lug nuts so there isnt much room to get in there with a strap and I am concerned about making a notch because of the lack of clearance. I do not want to ruin the rims because I have them sold to a guy for his mustang II.

Here is a pic. Perhaps I could call some place like Summit and inquire about the number of 'codes' or 'patterns' that are available.

The most viable suggestion so far is to trash up to 4 sockets.

Thanks guys keep the suggestions coming....I will give 'er a try!

070.jpg

Those are made by Gorilla. Either ask a Gorilla lock supplier if they have a key set, or get the wheel lock removal tool made by Sanp On (I think). It looks like a socket. You hammer it over the lock and it bites in so you can remove it.

OK I had this style their is only 5 different keys, at-least when I had them. Call a good tire shop, and explain the situation and see if they would help. My old tire shop in Colorado drove out to deliver a new key when mine broke on the side of the road. A roadside assistance, or tow truck might also have that key. This type is very common.

By the way see how much pictures help!!

Those are made by Gorilla. Either ask a Gorilla lock supplier if they have a key set, or get the wheel lock removal tool made by Sanp On (I think). It looks like a socket. You hammer it over the lock and it bites in so you can remove it.

Thanks I could not remember what animal the company was named after.

I can not get vise-grips on it because they are the short lug nut style. They stick out like maybe 3/8 of an inch beyond the surface of the rims. I knew they were Gorilla brand. I just didnt know how many different key options there were. Will they sell a lock set to just anyone? Wouldn't that defete the purpose of locking lug nuts to keeping people from stealing your rims?! As for the local tire shop, LOL I live in the sticks. The closest town is 45 miles away and that shop is a ringy-dink shop anyways.

I will contact some factory reps in the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the help.