IGNORED

Heater core piping

Pomorza

Hello all

After months of procrastinating I finally forced myself to pull the old broken heater core out of my 280z. After removing the blower motor and it's housing I find that the hoses leading to and from the heater core are well a mess. I don't know which one goes where and how they are at all set up. I pulled everything out, cleaned and replaced. Now I'm at the moment where I need to pipe the system but I have no idea where what goes.

The two manuals I have are little help but not really as specific as I would have hoped. Does anyone have any picture(s) of the plumbing down there? To and from the heater core, how they hoses go? Please its getting rather cold here in Arizona and driving in 32 degree weather with no heat is rather um...cold.

Jan

i had this problem too. oddly enough the place i got replacement parts for this from had the best diagram to put it back together

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.aspx?page=76

hah, couldnt find a pic so i ran out to the garage and took one

Thanks for the pic. I wish I would have taken a pic of the disaster that was down there. I sat there for a good ten minutes going "huh? what?" By the looks of it I'm missing a pipe something. I'll take a look at it tomorrow more closely.

Jan

Edited by Pomorza

sure. To put it in words - lets follow the flow of the coolant

the long hose in the engine bay goes to the lower of the two connections on the firewall

then inside that connection goes straight to the heater core

(this you can't see in the pic because it is behind everything else, and is easier to attach first.)

then the output from the heater core goes to the valve, the nearest connection to the firewall.

then the connections remaining get connected together - the remaining valve connection furthest from the firewall connects to the return to the engine bay. which then connects to the engine

the weird part was how the hoses cross over so often.

but it's above 0, so how can it be cold... (i had to say this, being in wisconsin and all...:) )

edit note: i think the coolant direction is right, but maybe not. oh well, the connections will be right either way.

Edited by AnthonyG
correct coolant direction?

Here is a photo of what is located in my car. I'm just a bit confused on how the water flows through all this plumbing when the heat is off. I understand it when its on and coolant flows just not when its off. Someone please shed light on that.

Secondly the blower motor that I pulled out of the Z. Is this out of a Honda? For what I was told the one in the Z has a metal fan, the one I have is most definitely plastic.

Thanks

Jan

post-19999-14150810291511_thumb.jpg

post-19999-141508102922_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of what is located in my car. I'm just a bit confused on how the water flows through all this plumbing when the heat is off. I understand it when its on and coolant flows just not when its off. Someone please shed light on that.

Secondly the blower motor that I pulled out of the Z. Is this out of a Honda? For what I was told the one in the Z has a metal fan, the one I have is most definitely plastic.

Thanks

Jan

Not sure on when the valve is shut. of course mine is stuck open so I havent thought about it.

I ahve to get at my fan in the next 2 weeks. sounds like something is rattling around in there. When I do i'll tell you if I have metal or plastic. (though who knows what the PO did to it)

your circle pic of what attaches to what looks like its right. i'm assuming you took the valve off of the bracket.

Here are a couple of photos of my installation process, one of the picts is as close to where you are as I could find. Another shows all the parts, then just the valve installed, finally one shows it all hooked up. It looks like you're missing the actual valve, and it also looks like you have an extra hose that I don't have. But if these pictures help you, I'm more than happy to post them. FYI, these are from my 74 260 so it may or may not be like yours. Sorry about the blurry pictures, it was late

post-18081-14150810306432_thumb.jpg

post-18081-14150810307399_thumb.jpg

post-18081-14150810308138_thumb.jpg

post-18081-14150810308945_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of my installation process, one of the picts is as close to where you are as I could find. Another shows all the parts, then just the valve installed, finally one shows it all hooked up. It looks like you're missing the actual valve, and it also looks like you have an extra hose that I don't have. But if these pictures help you, I'm more than happy to post them. FYI, these are from my 74 260 so it may or may not be like yours. Sorry about the blurry pictures, it was late

Thanks. By the looks of it I'm missing one piece that allows the water to flow back to the engine when the valve is closed. As the temps here are getting rather warm I'm not really worried. I'll get it fixed when winter comes again.

Thanks a lot guys

Jan