IGNORED

replace light switch = dead

timbercake

ok so for the past month my 240z has had what we believed to be a bad light switch. as in the head lights would work, but nothing else (tail lights, dash lights) but the turn signal still worked fine. so today i was replacing it with a the replacement part from motorsport auto or wher ever. and right after reconnecting all the parts i checked the lights to see if they worked an yahzee they did. so as i was putting it back together i knoticed the turn signal didnt work, i just figured it didnt because it wasnt on the steering column.

but it got worse, once i had everything back on with the exception of the plastic cover. the engine doesnt start, doesnt even tic or anything. turn signal still dont work but the lights still work. also i knoticed the windshield wipper doesnt work, yet the sprayer does ??. so i tried switching back to the old switch and still nothing.. fml

-james

Sounds like something came unplugged or you blew a fuse or two. I'd double-check to make sure all your wiring is plugged in good, and check your fuses including your fusible links. Obviously everything was ok since you said everything worked until you put it back together. The turn signal wiring also connects to your headlight switch. As far as why your engine won't start doesn't make sense unless you somehow pulled some wires loose or blew your fusible links.

I have had similar experiences and what I usually find was that just moving or tugging little on a wire bundle can cause a failure at a connector. Check all the and connectors in the area particularly those just forward of the fuse box. Pull them apart and put them back together. You might need to remove the center console to get at them. My bet it is a connector or connectors that got distrubed while you were working on your original problem.

By the way you can take the headlight switch completely apart and clean the gunk out and polish the contacts. I have taken most the switches apart on my two Zz and cleaned them. If the switch feels dull and mushy take it apart and clean it.

The headlight switch on my 240 failed,and I read somewhere that they are not repairable, so ordered new one from MSA. While waiting for it to arrive(only a few days) I discovered that the old switch could be pulled apart. The fault was a worn out small plastic plunger thing, caused by lack of grease. I made up a new one from a piece of plastic knitting needle. That was four years ago,and I still have the new switch sitting in my parts draw just in case!!!