IGNORED

Successful AC install

steve91tt

Steve,

I have the same York compressor in my 73 240z also and notice that whenever it's on, I can feel that it robs power from the engine. Do you notice this with this kit?

-Quang

Yes, it definitely puts a load on the engine. I don't notice it so much driving around but the car idles a couple of hundred RPM lower and the throttle response is not as good with the compressor engaged. I suspect that it's not as bad as the York as the newer compressor is more efficient but I don't have any data to back that up.

Here are a few photos of the install. It's still a work in progress as I'm not 100% satisfied with routing of hoses or wires but it's all getting taken apart for paint soon anyways so it will do for now.

Interior...

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1940

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1941

Under the hood...

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1936

Components...

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1939

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1938

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1937

picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1935

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on my AC install...I have been daily driving my car for the past week or so and I must say that I am impressed with the AC system. :D

It's been full on summer heat and humidity here in Texas. I park the car in the garage at night but during the day there is no shade at all in our work parking lot so it sits in the hot sun. I use a sun shade for the dash, I have a dark window tint and I have a fair bit of dynomat installed so I suspect that this helps some.

The AC system does not cool the car down as fast as a modern luxury car does but so far it's plenty good enough to keep the heat and humidity in the cabin to a more than tolerable level even after being heat soaked in the hot sun all afternoon.

Damn, that's a clean "Z". At this point my wildest imaginings are that my "Z" will some day be half that nice. By the way, good job on what you have accomplished so far.

Thanks man. My goal is to work on it until it is a reliable, comfortable, good looking daily driver that looks period correct. Lots of little things left to do but the journey is half the fun! :)