IGNORED

Leaking radiator

Reverend

I started my 72 first time in 5 months and everything was quite ok, except that radiator leaked. I had it dried months ago and now after refilling it with pure water (i needed to move the car 2meters so i didnt put any coolant)

I noticed small pond of water front of the car and i inspected the radiator. Seems that the leak is in front row. So does the magical "radiator repair" fluids work? I dont want to overheat the engine but i dont want to buy new radiator..:cry:

Take it to a radiator shop and have them look at it. Most can be saved and is the cheapest route. They can inspect, pressure test etc, and give you an assesment. Mine blew a hole, what a mess under the hood, had it repaired for less than $50.

You should not use the 'stop leak' treatments (automotive cholesterol) as it will stop all smaller than normal passages in the entire system not just the small hole you intend to plug. Like the passages in the heater core. Not good.

Bonzi Lon

Take it to a radiator shop and have them look at it. Most can be saved and is the cheapest route. They can inspect, pressure test etc, and give you an assesment. Mine blew a hole, what a mess under the hood, had it repaired for less than $50.

You should not use the 'stop leak' treatments (automotive cholesterol) as it will stop all smaller than normal passages in the entire system not just the small hole you intend to plug. Like the passages in the heater core. Not good.

Bonzi Lon

"Automotive cholesterol!" What a great description. If I didn"t understand

otherwise what would happen inside the radiator, that illustration would

make it crystal clear to me (no pun intended) with nothing more being said.

BTW would the product do the same inside the engine galleys as well?

All Z Best,.....................................Kathy & Rick

I have had good luck with radiator seal on my winter beaters when I lived in New England - one had a heater leak and that got sealed. I never thought to use it my MG's and other LBC's because I was told by folks that the radiators and engine passages were small in comparison to Buicks and undesirable plugging of galleys could happen.

I have had my Z radiator fixed at radiator shops 2 or 3 times. They basically solder off a "column" or so. A reputable shop will tell you if there is too many to block off. Sometimes the solder that is used on the tanks fail after many years and all that is need is a fresh re-solder job. If my Z radiator leaks this time after a 19 year sleep, I'll put in the JY unit that I have that looks brandy-new. I have had radiators re-cored on my old Chrysler's because of the rarity and unavailability of replacement units. It really was not all that expensive. Your level of originality requirements could dictate to you if that is a route that you want to pursue.

Warning: If you get one of the aftermarket aluminum units, I think you should look at rubber grommets or such on the mounting bolts to isolate that metal from your steel. I have read that that some folks have suffered electrolysis damage. You prolly already know this, but I thought I would add it.

Edited by oldhemi