IGNORED

Tell me about the Series 1 Bumper "Override" Bar

auzziez

]I'm interested to find information about the Series 1 Bumper "Override" Bar. To describe it, it is a chromed tube, strategically bent, that connects to the rear bumper of a Series 1 Z. I'd like to know a few things like: 1) Is it factory or dealer option? 2) Which year cars did it come on? 3) Is there such thing as an "override" bar for the front bumper" 4) Like it? or Leave it?

Does anybody have detailed pics and measurements for fitting an override bar onto a rear bumper. I appreciate any/all help. Thanks!

The picture shows the override bar on the classic oldschool Z (that's the one in front :) )

nissan370z_datsun240z_09.jpg

Hi Tony:

See Page 3 at http://zhome.com/History/72AccBroch.htm

These were "Factory Authorized Accessories" - meaning that if they were purchased and installed by your Datsun Dealer - they carried the full 12/12,000 Factory warranty.

They were mostly installed by the Dealers before the 240Z was offered for sale. They were pretty common

FWIW,

Carl B.

]I'm interested to find information about the Series 1 Bumper "Override" Bar. To describe it, it is a chromed tube, strategically bent, that connects to the rear bumper of a Series 1 Z. I'd like to know a few things like: 1) Is it factory or dealer option? 2) Which year cars did it come on? 3) Is there such thing as an "override" bar for the front bumper" 4) Like it? or Leave it?

1)Non-factory option

2)I know they had them for the 260Z and 280Z. 73 was the last year for bumpers listed above

3)Yes I have 3 of them, they don't wrap around like the rear. They are bolted to the override bumpers

4)I really like the the rear ones for looks and it would look odd not to have the front one.

If you want them I'd look at picking up an original their are a lot of them around. You usually can find them being sold with the bumpers so you won't even need to drill. Usually on ebay the bumpers go for almost the same with or with out the override bars, so you could get most your money back in the purchase. besides the rear has a lot of bends in it. It would be a lot of work to replicate. After I find out which one is the early style I could let one of my front ones go. I do not have hardware for the front.

Actually the Front Bar did offer some protection to the point on the nose of the hood. You could feel something hit the bar, and it did let you know that you were about to "ding" the front of the hood if you didn't stop. That point on the front of the hood is an area that is very hard to properly fix once it's dented.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Actually the Front Bar did offer some protection to the point on the nose of the hood. You could feel something hit the bar, and it did let you know that you were about to "ding" the front of the hood if you didn't stop. That point on the front of the hood is an area that is very hard to properly fix once it's dented.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I stand corrected on the front bar. And you're dead on about the "Pre" hitting of something, like my garage door, twice......

Better the bar than my new hood, again....

Dave

I have a pair new in the box from 1980. I doubt they will ever go on. The 73 front one will be a little different width to mount on the over-riders. Pic is of the different positions of the over-riders of series 1, (black) thin and even with the hood line. The 73's are a little wider and closer in.

Bonzi Lon

post-11300-14150809902837_thumb.jpg

Pesonally, I thought they were butt-ugly. Didn't REALLY offer any additional protection to the car and took away some of the streamline look.

And I NEVER liked the way the front one attached THROUGH the rubber on the bumperettes!

AND if you have nice 240 bumpers now, you would be crazy to drill into them!

My 2 cents.....