IGNORED

a/c pics

nahurry

There is a few threads on people's Vintage Air installs here. Search for "Vintage Air" and you'll find it. This are great photos and documentation posted.

If all else fails, go to vintageair.com. They have all of there documentation on line so you can read and understand how AC systems are wired and plumbed. This may help you to figure out what goes where.

It is a bit difficult to understand why MSA would supply such poor documentation. I'de be asking for help from them and expressing some concerns about it. Reminds me of the graining, barely ledgable xerox's of xerox's of xerox's instruction pages I found in a Tokico spring/shock kit recently... Unacceptable! Don't stand for it! Demand better! (getting down from soap box now....)

Jim

You have 4 hoses. They are #10(large), #8(medium) and #6(small). The #10 runs from the evaporator outlet to the suction side of the compressor. The #8 runs from the compressor outlet to the condenser. The short #6 runs from the condenser to the dryer. The long #6 runs from the dryer to the inlet (orifice) of the evaporator. How those hoses actually route is a given for all but the #10. I don't know if the kit routes that hose across the firewall or and down the DS inner fender or down the PS inner fender and across the rad support.

I have the Courtesy Nissan kit /Nostalgic Air that I put in my 1971 Z. My car had AC and it was similar to the new one as far as location of the unit in the passenger floor area. I had holes in my firewall where the hoses for the AC had been, but the longest hose sent with this kit was to short if I used the existing holes. I had to drill new holes just like it shows in the directions. If I had it to do over I think I would have taken the long hose or possibly both hoses coming from inside the car and had new ones made so I could have used the holes that were already in the firewall. The install is not difficult . Be sure to have a good seal where the unit attaches to the blower. Drilling the holes and the routing of the hoses were the hardest part I thought. I don't have any pictures ,but I could take some.

Something I forgot to mention is my compressor mounted on the driver side mainly because that was where the other one mounted. I noticed in the picture showing the above York compressor that it is mounted on the passenger side ,in which case the hoses included to run from inside the car would be long enough. I also did not reinstall the air pump when I put the new AC kit on.

i used the existing holes to run two of the hoses but i will have to drill a new hole for the drain line. haven't hooked the hoses into anything yet, need to see where i want to mount the drier. mounted the new compressor on driver's side and put new belt on. the condenser has me puzzled on how to use the brackets that came with it.[ATTACH]34150[/ATTACH]. also instructions say that a sealing putty included is to be used around the firewall holes, but no putty in the kit.

My drier was mounted on the passenger side strut tower on the old AC and I mounted the new drier in the same spot. The drier covers the ID plate on the strut tower.The brackets mount to the top and bottom of the radiator support by drilling holes in the support. Dry fit the condenser to the radiator support first then drill holes in the raditor support as well as the condenser. Be sure not to drill into the lines of the condenser. You will have to bend the brackets some to make this work. The fittings on the condenser on mine are on the driver side and the long hose from the drier goes in front of the condenser. Use the clamps provided to secure the long hose from the condenser so the hose goes in about the middle of the condenser. I got the black putty from Bumper to Bumper Auto parts (Master Parts brand # FSE59010 Temp Control putty). The putty I used is about 1 inch wide and is in a roll. The best thing would be to find rubber grommets to surround the holes in the firewall. I also used some heat wrap tape to wrap the hose that runs from the unit to the compressor because I felt the heat from the engine and header might get a little to hot.

• 3 weeks later...

post-3352-14150809905189_thumb.jpg

post-3352-14150809905411_thumb.jpg

post-3352-14150809905638_thumb.jpg

post-3352-14150809906179_thumb.jpg2 of the hoses are a mile too long, gonna have to shorten them. guess i'll mount the drier beside the condensor. still have to drill a hole for the drain hose, (not looking forward to that). the other 2 holes were already there from the old unit.