IGNORED

I just cant get windshield on, please advice

Reverend

• 3 years later...

Bringing this thread back because it has good info. And I made a couple of comical remarks.

I had to replace my windshield yesterday. I was going to go through safelite. Got a real good price through our z club discount list. $159 + gasket. I had already bought a gasket for around $60. A friend of mine had a couple of windshields and he offered them up for free and help to install one. Neither of us had installed a windshield before so it was going to be a learning curve for us both. We both did our homework with vids and forum threads. But not enough since we broke the first glass.

When it wasn't going in very well I was about to pull it out and start over. But one last attempt to push it in *crack*. Windshield-1 us-0.

Left it for the night and did a bit more homework. I started looking for vids again. I found one that actually explained in detail how to install it. It was for a vw.

My problem began when I first placed the glass in the opening. I placed the bottom channel in first on the pinch weld. Wrong, by the time we got to the top it was too high and the top couldn't go in. As shown in this vid, you need to place the whole gasket in the opening, keeping the gasket on top of the pinch weld, not started on the bottom as I did. The gasket needs to sit on the pinch weld ledge touching flush all around. The next morning my friend came back jup with the second windshield, from the time we placed the windshield in the opening it took us about 30 minutes to install. MUCH easier the second time around.

Would I do it again? Yes if I had a used winshield and didn't have glass coverage and or the money to have it done professionally with new glass. I will probably replace the gasket in the hatch at some point, just for a little bit more experience.

Now that I actually put in some constructive advice and what little experience I picked up.

Koalia, we need to know how you got your nickname. ;-)

• 4 years later...