IGNORED

Opinions Please

ZCurves

Thanks. I wouldn't plan on "skinnies" on the front. My only thought was maybe 6's on the front and 7's in the rear, or 7's on the front and 8's on the rear. I have 6's all the way around on my roadster, and I definitely wish I had something wider in the rear.

Also, I will certainly be changing out my 14" rims at some point. The only question is do I go to 15" or 16". I too am predisposed to Panasports, though I'm not crazy about the price.

I think you should keep the tire size the same in all four corners. Very few street driven cars can benefit form staggered fitment front to rear. Those that can come that way from the factory. When the Datsun were raced in the 70's VERY successfully, I am sure they had the same size all the way around. The car was designed to have the same size all the way around. Do not discount the engineers choice at the time, it was not a mistake they equipped the car equally. I like 15" rims on my car, but I have seen 16" rims look pretty nice as well, but the taller tire on the 15" wheel seems to just fit the stock car.

I think you should keep the tire size the same in all four corners. Very few street driven cars can benefit form staggered fitment front to rear. Those that can come that way from the factory. When the Datsun were raced in the 70's VERY successfully, I am sure they had the same size all the way around. The car was designed to have the same size all the way around. Do not discount the engineers choice at the time, it was not a mistake they equipped the car equally. I like 15" rims on my car, but I have seen 16" rims look pretty nice as well, but the taller tire on the 15" wheel seems to just fit the stock car.

Really? Adding a rear sway bar to the 240z makes them a little tail happy. Wider tires in the rear would help to offset this oversteer tendency. Think Porsche 911s as factory cars with staggered setups.

When Datsun's were raced in the 1970s they were running staggered setups depending on the race series. All one needs to do is look at a Bob Sharp car.

Persuant to Joker's comment above, it looks like most of you guys go with 15" intead of 16". Any reason for this? Also, are the fronts necessarily the same width wheel as the rear?

I would say that it is because most old school wheels come primarily in 14 and 15s, whereas 16s are definitely rarer.

Thanks. I wouldn't plan on "skinnies" on the front. My only thought was maybe 6's on the front and 7's in the rear, or 7's on the front and 8's on the rear. I have 6's all the way around on my roadster, and I definitely wish I had something wider in the rear.

Also, I will certainly be changing out my 14" rims at some point. The only question is do I go to 15" or 16". I too am predisposed to Panasports, though I'm not crazy about the price.

Why run a staggered setup at all unless you've done some modifications to the car that warrant wider rear tires? You lose the ability to rotate the tires front to back when you do this. Additionally, it makes it harder to sell the wheels later. You can always run 7-in. wide wheels and simply put on different width tires.

Thanks for the correction ktm on Bob Sharps car. I was not aware they ran staggered setups. However, i would wager the 911 has wider tires in the rear as the car has more weight in the back end and needs to control it. As far as the rear sway bar making the car tail happy, I would say that adding wider tires is a fix to an unbalanced car. Adding the tires would negate the reason you added the rear sway bar in the first place. A properly set up suspension (read as balanced, neutral handling) should be set up to make the most of all 4 corners right.

I think we agree for the most part

Thanks to all for the input. I will be putting sway bars on both front and rear (if they ever arrive from MSA). One of the reasons I thought about wider in the rear is that I plan on doing some engine mods down the road that will increase torque. Ostensibly theses cars were enginerred for their stock power configuration. I just assumed that a car placing more torque at the rear would benefit from a larger contact patch.

• 3 weeks later...