IGNORED

Rear Hatch Lift Support

Harry Walker

I am restoring my 72 240 and can't find a rear hatch shock/lifter. The old one has no gas left in it. I just don't want to keep using a stick of wood to hold up the hatch!!:) I have looked at JC Whitney, Black Dragon, Z Store and, Z Car Source of AZ. The Z store lists a deck lid support for $251.53. That sounds really high for a small gas shock to me. Does anyone know just what this part is called and where a good one can be found? Thanks

Harry

Take a look at this thread Harry. If you are not concerned with originality and only want function, go with the Rock Auto strut. I had it on mine and it worked fine. And it was new.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28784&highlight=hatch+strut

Randy,

What Make/Model/Year did you use at the RockAuto site for the hatch strut?

For my last three 240Zs, I found used original rear hatch struts on Ebay. The struts worked great and all 3 were between $25.00 to $35.00 with an average of about $10.00 for shipping. Before I bid, each time I e-mailed the seller and asked if the strut would hold up the rear hatch with glass for a very long period of time without a problem. I also asked if they would guarantee that the strut would work. Each time the seller agreed to provide a guarantee and promised to refund my money if the strut didn't work, as long as I shipped the bad strut back. Only one time I got a bad strut and the seller gladly refunded my money once he received the bad strut back from me.

This is really the way to go if you want to keep your 240Z as original as possible.