IGNORED

**Wrecked**

austex

@conedodger: Yeah, I'm surprised the first offer was $2200. I figured it would be $1000 (or less). It's still a slap in the face, but I feel a little better about negotiating from $2200 than anything lower, for sure.

I sent them about 40 receipts including the tax receipt from when I bought it back in February of '08. Hoping that'll help...

The receipts will help but only if you do one of two things. First is to do nothing. If you just refuse to settle, telling them their offer is ridiculous, they will have to come up higher. An adjuster has one job for his company and that is to settle fast and low. You are a thorn in his bonnet if you just don't settle. The second is to name a number that you can live with. Don't be shy about it. You have the right to be made whole. You lost X so why settle for less than that? Think about it, you paid a certain amount for the car, you put a good deal of money into the car since buying it. The car isn't depreciating in value at this point - it is only going up in value so why shouldn't you have what you have in it or more?

*update*

Okay, I spoke with the insurance company finally and they said all they would give me extra for it is $60 for the tires. So, if I want to keep it, it'll be $2260. If they keep it, it'll be $2400. What a bunch of *@

*update #2*

They said that the "only" way they'll go up on their offer is if I can show them some comparable 260Zs for sale that are going for more than $2200. For example: they found one in Houston that's kind of in the same shape as mine, and the guy wanted $3400 for it. Problem is, he claims it only has 10,000 miles on it. Mine has 87,000. So they knocked off $1200.

Edited by austex

I'll post an ad for my 260 for 20K, just tell me where to post it. :beer:

Is the insurance serious about that other one? 35 year old car with only 10k miles on it, and it looks like yours? Not that yours is bad, but with only 10k miles it should be perfect. Additionally a 35 year old car with 10k miles is worth a whole bunch of money.

Yeah, exactly. They have no idea what they're talking about. She told me about one that was kind of in the same shape as mine in JUNO, ALASKA for like $2500 or something.

I faxed them a printout of that Collector Car Price Tracker that Carl showed me. Out of 289 auctions, the average selling price of an 'average driver' 260Z is $2950.

Edited by austex